addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
A former member
Post #: 2

Dear NYCSLDPLHPO list member,

I am an academic researcher who is conducting questionnaire research on contemporary Satanism. The current phase of my research builds on prior work that was published ten years ago as “Who Serves Satan? A Demographic and Ideological Profile.” This earlier article can be found online at the Marburg Journal of Religion website: (http://www.uni-marbur...­.

I also conducted a second survey ('Satan Survey Two,' or SS-II) two years ago that has not yet been fully reported. I have to confess that some of the items in the second questionnaire were ill-designed. If you responded to SS-II, you will find that many of the items from that questionnaire have been repeated here.

If you would like to participate in this research, please use the below link (NOTE: you may have to cut and paste it into your search engine), which will take you to the questionnaire (SS-III). Unless you otherwise identify yourself, your answers will be completely anonymous. Initial findings from this questionnaire will be reported at the "Satanism in Western Culture" conference, to be held in Stockholm, 25-27 September 2011. (http://www.erg.su.se/...­)

This survey builds on earlier studies of other kinds of groups (hence questions that may otherwise seem completely irrelevant to Satanism). Yet other comparisons are drawn from the General Social Survey (GSS), which permits comparisons with the more general population (some GSS items are actually quite odd--such as a question about human sacrifice). This has resulted in the survey being rather long--so I deeply appreciate your taking the time to complete it.

Thus far, questionnaire respondents have been mostly atheistic (e.g., LaVeyan) Satanists. However, I have a sense that theistic Satanism is growing, and will be interested in seeing the final results of this phase of my research.

Categories found in questionnaires like this one frequently do not do justice to the complexities of real life. For this reason, a number of open-ended items have been included that allow for more nuanced responses. You are also welcome to contact me directly at james.lewis@tsd.ac.uk

Please inform other Satanists about this research project and feel free to pass it along via e-mail or to post a link on appropriate blogs and websites.

Thanks for your help.

James R. Lewis
(james.lewis@tsd.ac.uk)

LINK TO QUESTIONNAIRE: http://www.surveymonk...­
A former member
Post #: 17
Speaking as a Luciferian.

I am surprised you did not include attitudes towards Luciferians, who like me mix with the Satanists.

Theistic Satanists make up the vast majority of Satanists, so it depends to where you ask the questions who will respond to you.

I recommend mysatan.net to survey as well.
Diane
DianeVera
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 597
To all Satanists: James Lewis is indeed a legitimate academic researcher who has also written books on Satanism. It is to our advantage, as Satanists, to participate in academic research, to help dispel misconceptions about Satanism.

Participation in academic research is a VERY IMPORTANT way that we can help influence the public's perception of Satanism, or at least those sectors of the public that have the most real power.
Tony S.
grungerboy
New York, NY
Post #: 4
I participated in the questionaire.

I hope that James will present an un-bias look at the Satanic philosophy and not stereotype us based on Hollywood propaganda or fear mongering by uninformed people like many have done in the past.
~Tony
Yara
user 5730381
New York, NY
Post #: 2
Done.

However I did not understand, why the author of this questionnaire was asking what kind of currency is used in the country where the participant lives.
I guess he had his own reasons to ask thatconfused
Tony S.
grungerboy
New York, NY
Post #: 5
Done.

However I did not understand, why the author of this questionnaire was asking what kind of currency is used in the country where the participant lives.
I guess he had his own reasons to ask thatconfused

Hey Yara.

I think the reason why he asked what curreny is used in our country of residence, is because depending on what country or continent you live in, you would have a different type of currency or monetary system that would be completely different in value.

Im guessing that he was looking to see the income levels that Satanists make and in order to have accurate data for his research for purposes of calculating average income for a Satanic household and such. So he would have to take the income of people, whether it's in dollars, pounds, pesos, etc, and later transcribe all the different income types and currency levels that people make from different regions, to make it all nto a more final money system hes going to use for his data. Depending on where his paper is being presented, he will need to translate it to a uniform currency for that regoin to make the data make sense to the reader.

Does that make sense?

See you thursday!
~Tony
Yara
user 5730381
New York, NY
Post #: 3
wow, I never thought of that...
Yea, I am trying to get there on Thursday...