addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

NYC Satanists, Luciferians, Dark Pagans, and LHP Occultists Message Board Satanisms and society › Christine O’Donnell was not a Wiccan -- and not a Satanist either

Christine O’Donnell was not a Wiccan -- and not a Satanist either

Diane
DianeVera
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 518
On September 20, ABC and CBS reported that many Wiccans are offended by Christine O'Donnell's claim to have "dabbled into witchcraft" and "had a little midnight picnic on a satanic altar" on one of her first dates. Various Wiccans have said that the "witch" she allegedly dated was a Satanist and NOT a Wiccan. But I don't think the alleged "witch" was an actual Satanist either. As far as I am aware, no serious practitioner of any variant of either Wicca or Satanism would have a picnic on one's altar.

Also, I've found an online excerpt from Christine O'Donnell's 15 June 1997 Washington Post column, in which Christine O'Donnell made more Satanism-related claims, this time involving a D.C.-area rock festival she attended. She wrote, in 1997: "Walking through the crowd I also noticed more pentagrams than crosses around the teenage necks. 'Satanism is the religion of the '90s,' I was told. 'It means I worship nature,' responded one girl when I asked her what the pentagram meant to her. I explained that the pentagram is to Satan what the cross is to Christ. She didn't want to believe it."

In fact, the pentagram has had many different meanings. In today's world, since the 1960's, the point-down pentagram has often been used as a symbol of Satanism, whereas a point-up pentagram has been often used as a symbol of Wicca, a religion distinct from Satanism. But the pentagram, in both orientations, has had many other meanings throughout the ages too.

Clearly, Christian O'Donnell has a tendency to confuse Satanism with not only Wicca but also rock fan culture. Far from being a Satanist herself, she has bought into the fundie Christian mentality that sees 'Satanism' everywhere. So, there's no reason to take her word for it regarding an alleged "Satanic altar."

See also my recent blog posts about Christian O'Donnell here and here.
Diane
DianeVera
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 519
We got mentioned on the New York Daily News website just now: NYC Satanist: O'Donnell Isn't One of Us by Kenneth R. Bazinet, September 21, 2010.

P.S.: Later today, we also got mentioned -- and in a much better, less condescending way -- on the CBS News website: Christine O'Donnell's "Witchcraft" Comments Rebuffed by Satanist by Stephanie Condon.

Further P.S.: Below is the complete text of my press release, minus contact info and other preliminaries:

NYC SATANIST GROUP FOUNDER SAYS: CHRISTINE O'DONNELL WAS NOT A SATANIST.
Also, a 1997 column by Christine O'Donnell makes more claims involving "Satanism".

NEW YORK, NY, September 21, 2010 - The founder of a Satanist group in New York City does not believe that Christine O'Donnell was ever a Satanist of any kind. The Satanist, Diane Vera, has also found an online excerpt from a 1997 Washington Post column in which Christine O'Donnell insisted that the pentagram is always a Satanic symbol and claimed, based on an alleged experience at a rock festival, that Satanism was commonplace among young people in the 1990's.

On September 20, ABC and CBS reported that many Wiccans are offended by Christine O'Donnell's claim to have "dabbled into witchcraft" and "had a little midnight picnic on a satanic altar" on one of her first dates. Various Wiccans have said that the "witch" she allegedly dated was a Satanist and NOT a Wiccan. Diane Vera, the founder of NYC Satanists, Luciferians, Dark Pagans, and LHP Occultists, points out that it is unlikely the alleged "witch" was an actual Satanist either. Diane Vera has said, "As far as I am aware, no serious practitioner of any variant of either Wicca or Satanism would have a picnic on one's altar."

Diane Vera has also found an online excerpt from Christine O'Donnell's 15 June 1997 Washington Post column, in which Christine O'Donnell made more Satanism-related claims, this time involving a D.C.-area rock festival she attended. Christine O'Donnell wrote, in 1997: "Walking through the crowd I also noticed more pentagrams than crosses around the teenage necks. 'Satanism is the religion of the '90s,' I was told. 'It means I worship nature,' responded one girl when I asked her what the pentagram meant to her. I explained that the pentagram is to Satan what the cross is to Christ. She didn't want to believe it."

In fact, the pentagram has had many different meanings. In today's world, since the 1960's, the point-down pentagram has often been used as a symbol of Satanism, whereas a point-up pentagram has been often used as a symbol of Wicca, a religion distinct from Satanism. But the pentagram, in both orientations, has had many other meanings throughout the ages too.

Diane Vera has said: "Clearly, Christian O'Donnell has a tendency to confuse Satanism with not only Wicca but also rock fan culture. Far from being a Satanist herself, she has bought into the fundie Christian mentality that sees 'Satanism' everywhere. So, there's no reason to take her word for it regarding an alleged 'Satanic altar.'"

ABOUT NYC SATANISTS, LUCIFERIANS, DARK PAGANS, AND LHP OCCULTISTS: Founded as a Meetup group in 2004 and holding regular open meetings since early 2008, it is one of the very few Satanist groups that hold meetings open to the general public. It welcomes Satanists, Luciferians, etc. of all law-abiding kinds, including both atheistic symbolic Satanists (those who do not believe in Satan as an entity, but regard Satan as a symbol of independent thought, individuality, etc.) and theistic Satanists (those who do revere Satan as a deity). Diane Vera, the founder, has been a Satanist since 1991 and has an extensive website devoted to theistic Satanism.

###
The O'Donnell quote was taken from here.

Comments appreciated.
Gawaine C. R.
GawaineR
Boston, MA
Post #: 7
No religion permits picnics on an altar. Food is sometimes left on the altar as an offering for the gods, but that's a wholly different thing. It would be charitable to claim that Christine O'Donnell was on acid. Otherwise, she was hallucinating, i.e. insane.
The Tea Party runs on fear and is the politics of denial. Forbes Magazine, not exactly a leftist rag, examined the "facts" as put forth by the Tea Party and said every one of them was wrong.
This is one of the lowest political parties in many years, and I mean that in a pejorative sense. The leaders are mere demagogues, and fanatics to boot. The herd is a mass of agitated, fearful and angry sheep, but they sure aren't familiar with thought.
Diane
DianeVera
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 542
Our group got mentioned by name in the article Crying Witch: Learning From the O’Donnell “Dabbling” Debacle by Spencer Dew on Religions Dispatches, October 28, 2010.
A former member
Post #: 1
CHRISTINE DONNEL WAS A PAGANISM.FAKE TREND BAND WAGON INCLUDES SLAYER,BURZUM.REAL ARTIST IS ACHERON ALL THE MEMBERS ATEND CEREMONIAL RITUALS.THIS MEETUP MUSICIANS PAGE PROCEDURES I AGREE.
TO PROMOTE MUSIC MUST ATLEAST ATEND THREE MEETINGS.MESSAGE BOARDS,VISIT SITE FREQUANTLY.STATUS RANKINGS.SMELL "POSERS" AT BAY.
'
"TRUE" GO DIANE VERA