addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Diane
DianeVera
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 544
A page of "Rules for our meetings" has been posted, formalizing a set of guidelines we've talked about occasionally since spring 2009.

Please read our rules carefully. If you disagree with any of these rules or have suggestions for clarifying them, you may discuss them below, or in this older thread on our message board, or start a new thread in the section of our message board About this group and how we run it.
Diane
DianeVera
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 573
The following, in the rules for our meetings:

4) How to handle forbidden or discouraged topics and behavior, if/when they come up: In extreme cases, e.g. someone seriously advocating violent crime, the offender will immediately be asked to leave our group and not come back. Other cases will be handled by referring to these rules and asking people to change the subject.

has been amended to:

4) How to handle forbidden or discouraged topics and behavior, if/when they come up: In extreme cases, e.g. someone seriously advocating violent crime, the offender will immediately be asked to leave our group and not come back. In the worst cases (e.g. disclosure of specific acts of criminal violence or child abuse), the offender will also be reported to the police. Other, less severe breaches of our rules will be handled by referring to these rules and asking people to change the subject.

Diane
DianeVera
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 574
In the Rules for our meetings, please note the following rule: "Please respect the diverse cultural backgrounds of people who attend our meetings."

Among other things, this means no racist remarks. I mention this because one new member recently voiced worries about the possibility of running into neo-Nazi Satanists at our meetings.

We don't very often get any neo-Nazis, or Nazi sympathizers, attending our meetings.

We often do hear from people who like the Joy of Satan website, but they typically say they like it only for the meditation instructions, demon descriptions, etc., and are NOT fond of the neo-Nazi stuff on that site - and, in most cases, are not fond of the space alien stuff either.

(Note to Joy of Satan fans: The good parts of the JoS website are NOT original. Much of the same info, and more, can be found in the Demonolatry books and in traditional occult books such as Initiation into Hermetics by Franz Bardon.)

If any neo-Nazis ever do show up at any of our meetings -- an extremely rare occurrence -- they are asked to refrain from any racial or ethnic slurs.

It is my impression that our group also does not attract very many Church of Satan style "Social Darwinists" (i.e. believers in pure laissez-faire capitalism, with no safety nets) either. Recently I had a long debate on our message board, with Mabuz Luciferi, who apparently is a believer in "Social Darwinism," but he does not even live in the U.S.A and thus is unlikely to attend any of our meetings. When we do mention politics at our meetings, it usually turns out that most of us hold left-of-center views. Note, however, that we do not aim to exclude people with right wing views on economics or foreign policy.

We do NOT very often discuss politics at our meetings at all, other than to make announcements of meetings of New Yorkers Against Religion-Based Bigotry and to talk about anti-Satanist scaremongers.
A former member
Post #: 12
Yes, I tend towards the "Social Darwinist" outlook, and it is unlikely I would be able to make any meeting in New York due to me living in Britain. I would warn against a too restrictive approach to political or sensitive subjects as Satanists regardless of their outlook have stepped outside of the conformist mindframe to ask questions and walk those paths few would dare walk, and it is our nature to explore and enlighten ourselves in such matters.
Diane
DianeVera
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 578
Our meetings attract people of all races and many different cultural backgrounds, and we want them all to feel welcome. Hence we disallow racist remarks at our meetings. But we make no attempt to regulate our members' political involvements, if any, outside of our meetings. If, for example, someone with neo-Nazi connections happens to show up at a meeting, we wouldn't kick them out for that, as long as they aren't rude to people of other races at the meeting -- and as long as they don't violate the Meetup terms of service here on the Meetup site.