addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Savannah Gaming Hub Message Board › Savannah Gaming News March 2013

Savannah Gaming News March 2013

Gamaster M.
user 9845009
Savannah, GA
Post #: 72
Savannah Gaming News
Issue 2 March 2013

Why I War Game
By: Alan Sheridan

Circa 1976…….”I drove my Hanomags up, dismounted my Panzer grenadiers with supporting machine gun fire from the halftrack crew’s gunner and close assaulted the dug in American Paratroopers,” said the stranger talking to a friend on the shaded patio just outside the doors of the cafeteria of Winter Haven Senior High. I was a freshman in high school with a full time afterschool job and a love of history, especially WW II. I edged closer and listened to more juicy details about a firefight that had occurred the previous day. Who were these guys and what were they talking about? Were they historical re-enactors? I walked over and asked them what they were talking about? One of them replied, “It is about a war game we played yesterday. I asked them, what was a “war game?” They said the best way to understand it was to play it. They were Dale Marcum and Leon Mason, two guys who would become my lifelong friends. They gave me the phone number of a friend of theirs, Curt Dees, and told me to call him to set up a game. Next Saturday, I met up with Curt and he had a small terrain table set up on his kitchen table with some 1/72nd scale Sherman tanks and some Sturmgeschutz III assault guns. He explained how to accurately move by measuring with a ruler up to the limit of the movement for each vehicle type. Then we used firing charts and dice to roll for hits and misses and determine if the hits penetrated a place on the vehicle and disabled it or destroyed it. If my memory serves me right, I think the rules were, Angrief! Attack! I had already been assembling and painting many 1/72nd scale armored vehicles just because I thought they were cool! I took the disposable money I had from my job and expanded my collection as fast as possible. I started playing wargames with Dale and Leon and some new friends, Ricky Grice and Doug Bohannon. We expanded our group and had some mega tank battles which took up entire carports with tanks firing the width of the surface. We had two car lengths worth of tanks.
Soon we were playing Dungeons and Dragons, Traveller, Boot Hill, Starfleet Battles, and more games. We used to start playing Friday afternoons and play all night until well after sunrise. Those were some great times spent with friends painting and playing different games and genres. Not one time did we ever get high on alcohol or drugs. We obeyed our parents who put up with our activities without really understanding them. I joined the Army and moved away and took my gaming experiences with me. We played Dungeons and Dragons and Traveller in our dorms and at the game store in Carmel. I spent a year in Korea where an army buddy introduced me to SPI Strategy and Tactics Magazine and games. We played many historical boardgames over the year I was there. I transferred to Germany where it was more difficult to continue to play miniatures wargames due to the amount of time we spent training for the threatened Soviet attack through the Fulda Gap. I re-enlisted and moved to Augsburg, Germany where I lived on the Sheridan Kaserne! Imagine my surprise to arrive on an American base with the same name as on my uniform, Sheridan! My co-workers set up the massive Terrible Swift Sword SPI game three times, once the South actually won the battle! You have to push the Yanks off of Seminary Ridge the first day, regardless of the losses. We also played modern Micro-armor against each other. We went to a German hobby store and took a cab there asking the driver to take us to a Kriegspielen shop. We were taken to a model railroad shop. The driver asked us why we were going there and we tried to explain that we wanted some terrain for our miniatures wargame. He said he had been in the War (WW II). When I returned back to the states my unit in Savannah had a large fantasy wargaming group headed by our platoon sergeant!

Why wargame? First, it is fun! You get to try your strategy against others and win, lose or draw. Second, wargaming is an excellent alternative to wasting time and money on alcohol or drugs. Not one of my old gaming friends from my hometown turned out to be alcoholics or drug addicts. Third, you can make some really good friends spending so much time with them. The camaraderie is fantastic. It is good, clean fun. If you play historical you will learn about the history of the era you play because you want to know how they fought their battles and what kind of arms they used. It is a pleasant way to spend your evening.

Places to meet gamers!
Meetup Groups
There are several Meetup groups that feature gaming and gamers.
• Savannah Gaming Hub
• The Beaufort and Bluffton RPG and Gaming Group
• Hinesville Gamers Meet at Jungle Jakes in Hinesville
Websites
• GnomeCon (http://gnomecon.org/)...­, Savannah’s own gaming convention.
• Rapier (http://www.rapiercon....­) Jacksonville Garrison.
• Ancient City Con (http://www.ancientcit...­) A general “geek con” with a variety of gaming, anime and cosplay events.
Facebook Groups
There are a few Facebook groups that work to facilitate communication among the gamers.
• Gnomecon - Dedicated to all things Gnomecon
• Rapier - "A Friendly Little Game Convention"
• Savannah Boardgamers - Savannah’s own home for all things gaming.
• Savannah MES Dedicated to several of White Wolf Publishing’s LARPs.
• SCAD EDH A group Magic (MTG).
If you know of any groups we should add, just send us an email at savannahgamers@yahoo.com and we will update the list for next time. We plan to keep the list of groups and sites as a permanent feature of our newsletter
Local Events Unless noted otherwise, these events are all open to the public.
Recurring Events By Location
Morningstar Games
http://www.morningsta...­
30 W Montgomery Cross Rd
Savannah, GA 31406
(912) 927-2770
Mondays
Open Gaming all day 12PM- 6PM.
Tuesdays
Boardgame Night 5PM-8PM
Wednesdays
Heroclix 5PM- 8PM
Thursdays
Magic EDH/Commander Casual Play 5PM-8PM
Fridays
Friday Night Magic Booster Draft 5PM-8PM
Saturdays
MtG Standard Tournament 12PM-5:30PM
Standard tournament $5.00 entry fee, prizes based on participation.
Android: Net Runner Group 5PM- 8PM
Sundays
Table-Top Miniature Gaming 12pm – 6pm
Warhammer 40K, Flames of War, Dystopian Wars, etc
Jungles Jake's Hobby Store
http://www.junglejake...­
321 West Memorial Drive, Hinesville
912-344-1338
Tuesdays
Magic Type II Draft 6PM-9PM
$15 Entry Fee. Store opens at 5:30 pm, tournament starts at 6:00 pm.
Thursdays
Open Gaming 6PM-9PM
Fridays
Friday Night Magic Booster Draft 6PM Until
Magic Type II Draft 6PM-9PM
$15 Entry Fee. Store opens at 5:30 pm, tournament starts at 6:00 pm.
Saturdays
Open Gaming 11AM Until
Warhammer 40K, Flames of War, Dust Tactics, etc

Events and Submissions
Our newsletter is only as good as we make it. Send me your articles (500 words or so), game events, and special promotions at savannahgamers@yahoo.com.

Regional Events By Date
Gnomecon www.gnomecon.org April 19-21
Rapier www.rapiercon.com June 14-16
Ancient City Con www.ancientcitycon.com June 21-23
A former member
Post #: 2
Great work Mike! This is the exact kind of resource that all types of gamers would enjoy reading & helps gamers especially those new to the area connect with one another. Again great idea, keep up the good work & I look forward to April's issue.
Gamaster M.
user 9845009
Savannah, GA
Post #: 74
Thanks for the good word Ryan!