Palo Alto, CA
VMware in Palo Alto is expanding their team of scala developers in the cloud services group.
We develop in Scala and leverage Scala frameworks/libs such as Akka, Spray, ScalaXB, ScalaQuery, Databinder Dispatch, Specs2, Lift, and Play, in addition to other non-scala frameworks where appropriate.
In general, we are looking for scala skills coupled with product/service development experience.
(See below for detailed position description/requirements.)
Location is the continuously expanding VMware HQ Palo Alto campus on Hillview near 280 and Page Mill.
For more info, questions, or where to send your resume: jcrilly aht vmware daht com
The cloud infrastructure and services group develops products that focuses on building world class platforms and solutions to facilitate adoption of private and public cloud computing. We are seeking a highly motivated, hands-on staff engineer that can lead small development teams. The ideal candidate for this role is someone with strong domain knowledge about cloud services, technical background, and excellent inter-personal and communication skills.
In this role you will be a key technical owner and driver of major components for products for Cloud engineering group.
- Contribute to architecture, design, and implementation of enterprise class applications.
- Must be able to code hands-on while designing solutions based on deep technical knowledge of
scalable web/back-end server components and n-tier architectures.
- Work in an agile team environment with distributed teams while implementing engineering best-
- Review and critique software designs proposed by senior developers.
- Work on high-uptime multitenant Java based services.
- Maintain current hands-on knowledge of the VMware product line, specifically: vSphere, vCloud
Director, vCenter, vCOPs.
- 5+ years of industry experience in development in Scala/Java.
- Experience with Scala and J2EE technologies (Akka, Spray, Spring, DAO frameworks).
- Taste for simplicity, elegance in technical design and a willingness or passion to learn new technology
such as Scala, Akka, Spray NoSQL, Hadoop, Ext-JS, RESTful or JSON.
- Experience leading small teams, establishing development practices, and mentoring individuals.
- Strong SQL and data modeling skills, as well as real-world experience with commercial RDMBS.
- Strong plusses would be contribution and use of Open Source libraries and tools (not just vendor
- Experience building multi-tenant SaaS systems is desired.
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science and minimum of 5+ years of software development experience