Scala User Group - Berlin Brandenburg Message Board › Ideas for "Real-World Scala" interview

Ideas for "Real-World Scala" interview

A former member
Post #: 2
Hi guys,

Soon I will conduct an interview with a company that is using Scala in production.
I would love to get your thoughts on this!

So, what would you like to know about using Scala in the real-world?

Regards,
Stephan
Piyush P.
user 16997571
Group Organizer
Berlin, DE
Post #: 10
Hi Stephan,

Excellent idea. Can't wait to read it.

Everything from why? where? how? teams and products and experience and pain points

Cheers
Piyush

José Ignacio Gil J...
user 60877772
Berlin, DE
Post #: 1
Hi Stephan,

+1 for the pain points

I'd like to know how do they recruit people, do they hire scala-experienced or just people from different backgrounds (i.e. Java) and interest for learning? I guess this is a barrier that could stop the adoption of Scala for some companies.
What do they use it for (backend?, FE?)? How productive (in the real world) is it in the frontend if compared, for example to RoR?

Cheers,
José Ignacio Gil Jaldo
Jörn W.
user 63500402
Berlin, DE
Hi Stephan,

that sounds interesting. Something that's always very important to big customers is technical support. Typesafe is as far as I know the only company that offers such. I wonder if they ordered support, how important it is to them, how much they are willing to pay for it and what they think they are getting for the money. Regardless if they ordered support, did they run into technical problems with Scala itself? Any bugs, compatibility or upgrading issues? Are they confident with their situation or did they wish they had (better) support or somebody knowledgable to help them through difficult situations?

Questions, questions, ... Good luck smile

Cheers,
Jörn
Stephan S.
user 64352172
Düsseldorf, DE
Hi Stephan,

I would like to know, how they figured out that scala would be ne language of choice - instead of using a more well know language.
A former member
Post #: 3
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try to incorporate them all :)

Interview is next Thursday, then it will probably be published the Monday after.

Regards,
Stephan
Martin K.
user 24405982
Prague, CZ
Hi guys,

I'll be giving the interview.

One important note: we're not in production yet.
A former member
Post #: 4
The interview is now online: deutsch / english :)
Piyush P.
user 16997571
Group Organizer
Berlin, DE
Post #: 12
Nice read! Kudos to all involved.