Science of the Mind Message Board › Looking for info about the science of listening - Can you or anyone you know

Looking for info about the science of listening - Can you or anyone you know help?

Leisa
itsleisa
Seattle, WA
Post #: 7
Hi -

A consultant I know has an excellent program on listening that she delivers to business and govt. agencies. She would like to add some information about the bioscience of listening, but online research has come up a little lacking - with the exception of mirror neurons.

Does anyone have some info on this topic? Or research suggestions?

Thanks so much for your help.

Best, Leisa
Jason
user 3213556
Seattle, WA
Post #: 56
Hi Leisa,

This isn't really my area, but you might have more success searching for terms like 'acoustic processing', 'language comprehension', 'auditory system', 'perceptual sets', 'schemas', 'contextual processing', etc. These are getting progressively further from biopsych, but current work might be useful as more parts of the field are becoming interdisciplinary.

Also, a good place to start are the review articles in journals - for this project, I would suggest Trends in Neurosciences from Cell Press. They will provide an overview of current work with a wealth of citations to papers that will provide further links to the relevant literature.
Leisa
itsleisa
Seattle, WA
Post #: 9
Thanks Jason. Very helpful. smile