Two wrecks... one trip!
UPDATE: The Marissa dive boat is now docked at Mission Bay Sportcenter.
This will be a 2-tank, no-profit, local trip aboard a well-appointed charter boat. If you don't have a buddy you may team up with another single on the boat. The boat provides tanks (Al 80s) and weights (bring your own if you like). Nitrox onboard for an extra charge. You provide all other gear. The boat also provides food and drinks between dives.
COST: $58.88 (Paypable via Paypal after you RSVP on the right.)
BOARDING TIME: 8 am
- HMS Yukon: 365' intact Candian destroyer repurposed as an artificial reef. Lays over on it's side in flat sand. 70-105' deep. Penetration possible to persons with skillset and proper certifications.
- Ruby E: 165' long Ex-Coast Guard cutter, fish processor, salvage vessel. Lies upright in 85 fsw on sandy bottom. Top is 65 feet. Fairly intact, but VERY rusty and degraded, with many walls disintigrated and holes showing through the deck. Penetration is possible (for persons with skill and certs), but discouraged as vessel integrity is becoming questionable.
To make reservations: Simply RSVP here (first) then pay via the Paypal interface that pops up. (Safe and secure... I've used it for years.)
BOARDING: When you board the boat, EXPEDITIOUSLY sign in (boat manifest and boat liability forms), assemble your gear (keep dive boxes/bags OUT OF the walkways), and then make room for others. Large boxes and bags may be stored on the second level. Small drybags can be stored in the v-berth. Keep bags OFF the bench seats. (Those are for people.)
SKILLS: Current possible. Because of the depths involved this trip is considered "advanced"... though a strong skill-set at any level will allow you to perform these dives safely. Stay within your skill-set and comfort level.
The Ten Commandments of RSVPing: Click for the 411
If you back out less than 96 hours before departure (or "no call, no show") you are on the hook for the money. No refund. (To back out fully you must cancel your RSVP here and request a Paypal refund.) If you back out less than one week before the boat leaves you will be refunded half your boat fee. The other half may then be used to entice another diver to take your spot. 8+ days= full refund*. (*All refunds subject to a .31 Paypal fee and 9% admin fee.)
Cancelling an Event: When and why Power Scuba might do it
Dive Boat Tipping Guidelines: Tipping Info & Advice here
- BRING YOUR CERT CARD.
- Hydrate really well.
- Take Bonine if you think you're at all inclined toward seasickness.
- Eat a decent, non-greasy breakfast.
- Bring something to keep you warm between dives (overcoat, boat jacket, etc).
- Bring a torch for peering into nooks and crannies.
- End your dive close to the boat (unless you enjoy long surface swims).
- ALWAYS bring your dive essentials: A safety sausage, knife, and whistle (at a minimum)!
- Don't forget to tip the boat crew if they do a good job for you. This one's just as important as any other point in this list. The DM is there for your safety. Take care of him/her!
Boat Etiquette Reminder:
- Don't be late.
- Space is limited on a boat. Stow all your gear where directed to by crew.
- Keep gear out of the walk-way, damnit.
- Put your fins on at drop-in point (not forward and then flip flop over people's feet and gear).
- Don't rinse your mask or other gear in the CAMERA BUCKET!
- Don't clog up the marine head with Baby Ruth bars, tampons, or similar.
- If you have to throw up, do it downwind (leeward), NOT IN THE HEAD.
- If you have to cancel, do it well before the cutoff time so Bill has a chance to sell your seat.
ADMIN STUFF YOU MUST READ:
The Virtual Donation Jar is always out (for the Meetup site costs and general fund). It's strictly voluntary, but is very much appreciated and needed: Click here for the DONATION JAR
If you have not submitted a Liability Release for Power Scuba, please follow this link to the file, print, sign, and bring to the event along with your C-Card (scuba certification card). You need to do this at least once a year: Liability Release and Assumption of Risk
You must also read this: Disclaimer and Clarification... AKA Terms of Service...AKA Terms and Conditions
Anyone with a medical condition possibly counter-indicitive to diving must have a doctors signature on a diving waiver form and submit signed form to Bill Powers (or an organizer) before they may attend any Power Scuba event. YOU MAY NOT ATTEND AN EVENT WITH AN UNDISCLOSED MEDICAL CONDITION. Doing so is grounds for expulsion from the group. Here is our medical statement: Medical Statement Therein you'll find a Doctor Waiver form as well.
Attending any scuba event Power Scuba facilitates constitutes attendee's affirmation they are medically fit to dive, certified to dive by a nationally-recognized agency, have the necessary skill & training level for the dive being offered, have read the Terms and Conditions, and have submitted a signed Liability Release to an organizer.
Important Note: It is not the organizer's role to lead your dive (or to wait for you after you come out of the water). He/she merely facilitates you getting to the pre-dive meeting location. The Organizer will not assign you a buddy nor will he/she be leading the dive as a "group dive". Visibility and liability do not allow for that. Nor will the Organizer tell you whether you are skilled enough to make any particular dive. That is for you (only) to decide. When you enter the water, you (and your buddy) are on your own. You must plan and execute your dive with your dive buddy only. Once members arrive at the meeting spot, the Organizer becomes simply another diver.
For Boat Dives: Any overage (usually less than $50) resulting from our local dive boat trips is put into a dedicated Group Boat Fund. This allows us to make up the difference if we don't completely fill up a future boat charter. No other use is made of this money.
Power Scuba bears no responsibility or liability for a member's loss (gas, airfare, hotel fees, etc) in the event of a cancelled event.
Your participation constitutes your affirmation you agree to these above rules and disclaimers.... and that your buddy(s) (if applicable) has read and agrees to the same.
1010 Santa Clara Place, San Diego. Still in the Mission Bay area, but not near the old place.