Seattle Analytic Philosophy Club Message Board › Interest in moderated debates rather than presentations?

Interest in moderated debates rather than presentations?

Gene L
user 19640341
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 364
I'm trying to get a sense of how much interest there would be in having future meetups start with a moderated debate (between two people) instead of the presentation, followed by discussion.
A former member
Post #: 1
I like the idea if the "debaters" are equally prepared and discussing the topic at the same level...Perhaps they should share their opening presentations with each other before hand so that can each mount the best counter arguments. Maybe we could use teams of presenters so that there is collaborative research and and preparation. It certainly would help to have folks with the relevant background involved (folks with some exposure to formal academic philosophy) either as the debaters or in helping to prepare the source materials for debate preparation. Bottom line, I love the idea of looking at both sides of any argument, whether its done as a "debate" or as a presentation. /jeff