addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Seattle Analytic Philosophy Club Message Board › Thought experiments for sale...

Thought experiments for sale...

Victor M.
user 12752879
Seattle, WA
Post #: 163
Gene L
user 19640341
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 499
Thanks for posting this Victor. I've been giving some thought to the role of public philosophy vs professional philosophy. I hope to post more on this in the future. With regards to the article I think it misses the big issue which is that large portions of professional analytic philosophy are probably not of much interest to even the educated public. In countries - like France - where philosophy has a larger public footprint it is not analytic philosophy which is popular. Also, a major problem for public philosophy is the lack of a common background and language which often leads to confusion at the outset. In academic analytic philosophy everyone has read the same material carefully and more or less uses concepts and terminology in the same way, and the level of methodical detail which academic philosophers engage in would quickly bore the public. But the problem is, this level of detail is probably necessary because unless one is very careful and rigorous about concepts and terminology, the discussions often go off the rails at the outset.

So I'd be curious what your thoughts if any are.
A former member
Post #: 63
I think it natural to see genuine Philosophy and Science marginalized in the shadow of the parasitic bastion of capitalism. I think marketing philosophy will ultimately consist of intellectual property, which by necessity will materially consist of censorship and privacy violation. We will find the wealth of philosophy expropriated and swept aside.