Seattle Analytic Philosophy Club Message Board › Future debates

Future debates

Gene L
user 19640341
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 585
Send an Email Post a Greeting
If anyone is interested in debating me on any topics let me know. It should be a philosophical, or philosophically-oriented topic which is well-defined - your choice.
Jason
user 3213556
Seattle, WA
Post #: 78
I would strongly prefer that the Analytic Philosophy Group waste time with frivolous activities like debates. If you think debating about arguments is fun, I would suggest starting your own group to pursue it. Perhaps there is already a debate club or Rortian Pragmatist group where this kind of endeavor is better suited. Recreational sophistry and rhetoric are neither objectives of nor esteemed pursuits within the analytic tradition.

Since we have discussed this in person in the past, I doubt that my dissent will be much of a deterrent, so I encourage other members of the group to give their thoughts on whether or not they would like to see the group's time and focus to shift in this way.
Gene L
user 19640341
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 587
Jason,

I don't agree with anything you say above.

BTW, Plantinga debated Dennett at a American Philosophical Association meeting. If it is good enough for the professional society, it is certainly good enough for a club of amateurs.

http://prosblogion.ek...­

Gene L
user 19640341
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 589

Since we have discussed this in person in the past, I doubt that my dissent will be much of a deterrent, so I encourage other members of the group to give their thoughts on whether or not they would like to see the group's time and focus to shift in this way.
This club is open to anyone who wants to run sessions related to analytic philosophy. So if anyone wants the group to focus on any area, please post what topic YOU want to run a session on (this would involve a presentation followed by discussion). I will work with you on scheduling it.
Jason
user 3213556
Seattle, WA
Post #: 79
BTW, Plantinga debated Dennett at a American Philosophical Association meeting. If it is good enough for the professional society, it is certainly good enough for a club of amateurs.

You should know better than to try to make sloppy arguments like that. Besides, APA didn't host a debate, the did a very common format for analytic philosophy, one person (often a guest) presents on a topic (usually one that they've written a paper about that everyone has recently read), someone else (typically a host) gives a brief analysis, and then everyone discusses.

Gene L
user 19640341
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 590

You should know better than to try to make sloppy arguments like that. Besides, APA didn't host a debate, the did a very common format for analytic philosophy, one person (often a guest) presents on a topic (usually one that they've written a paper about that everyone has recently read), someone else (typically a host) gives a brief analysis, and then everyone discusses.

Read the description of what happened.

Anyone is welcome to run meetup sessions. So if you want to do something different, run some meetups for the group. What else is there to say?
Jason
user 3213556
Seattle, WA
Post #: 80

Anyone is welcome to run meetup sessions. So if you want to do something different, run some meetups for the group. What else is there to say?
Sounds pretty much like what I said; the afeared reporter says "one philosopher gave a paper, the other commented and the first philosopher replied and the floor opened for questions". This is typical. It also sounds like that guy's computer doesn't hold a charge very well, he should probably replace his battery.

As far as what else there is to say, there's what I've said for starters. Also, I think it would be good to hear from others in the group as well. As far as future events, I'd like to help out with topics when my workload lightens up a bit. I do appreciate the work that you and Victor have been doing to put together topics, readings, intros, etc.

Gene L
user 19640341
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 591

Sounds pretty much like what I said; the afeared reporter says "one philosopher gave a paper, the other commented and the first philosopher replied and the floor opened for questions". This is typical. It also sounds like that guy's computer doesn't hold a charge very well, he should probably replace his battery.

As far as what else there is to say, there's what I've said for starters. Also, I think it would be good to hear from others in the group as well. As far as future events, I'd like to help out with topics when my workload lightens up a bit. I do appreciate the work that you and Victor have been doing to put together topics, readings, intros, etc.
Well you left something out.
"I say "kind of debate" because one philosopher gave a paper, the other commented and the first philosopher replied and the floor opened for questions. But in fact the session was a debate."

As you mention, it would be good to hear from others in the group about what sessions they would like to run themselves. Currently, it is only Victor and I running meetups.
Jason
user 3213556
Seattle, WA
Post #: 81
in what sense? This is what this guy characterized it as and for him it was an epic showdown. I certainly don't get this from the actual facts that he relayed.
Gene L
user 19640341
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 592
in what sense? This is what this guy characterized it as and for him it was an epic showdown. I certainly don't get this from the actual facts that he relayed.
Can we drop this? Since neither you or I were there, I'm not going to argue about whether or not something was a debate when it was characterized as such by someone who was actually there. I know debate is valuable from extensive experience. There is no argument that is going to change the actual experiences I had. You give no absolutely no reason for your opinions about debate in any case. Audiences also tend to enjoy debates.

http://www.meetup.com...­

I note the attendance list above with great interest. So do you enjoy wasting time with frivolous activities, instead of spending that time preparing a non-frivolous session for the analytic club which you claim are concerned about? Actions don't seem to match words - problem.

I'm retiring from this thread. One last thing:

If you don't think debates are the best course (despite attending them yourself), post your alternate list of sessions you will run for the club. Otherwise, there will be far fewer meetups because there are currently no alternatives, is that what you are proposing?