addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Seattle Analytic Philosophy Club Message Board › Is this book worth reading?

Is this book worth reading?

George
user 74564852
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 67
Here's a book on general relativity. I read the following lines and I wonder if this book is worth reading at all.

The book said Peter and Pat were two inertial world lines (biographies). Peter and Pat set their clocks to zero when they met. Pat shot peter a photon at pat-time t; Peter received the photon at peter-time kt; the photon bounced back to Pat at pat-time k-square t.

Now Pat infers that point P on Peter's world line occurred at pat-time (K*Kt + t)/2 and "at distance" (K*K-1)t/2.

I found two implicit assumptions and one nonsense:

Implicit assumption 1: K is a constant;
Implicit assumption 2: the time it takes for a photon to travel from Pat to Perter is equal to the time from Peter to Pat, even when Pat is moving away from peter;
Nonsense: distance. The book only specifies one end of the distance and leaves the other end undetermined.
George
user 74564852
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 68
Distance here is measured in light seconds.
Gene L
user 19640341
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 588
I think the above refers to special relativity and not general relativity?

I recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com...­

It's available the library if you want to check it out for free. Very good discussion of special relativity.
George
user 74564852
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 69
Thanks, Gene. Yes, it begins with special. I find myself unable to bear that level of muddleheadedness. I kinda lost confidence in this book. Thanks for the recommendatin.