addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Seattle Analytic Philosophy Club Message Board › Historical Truth: The real hero behind cuban crisis

Historical Truth: The real hero behind cuban crisis

George
user 74564852
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 86
Dear Mr Russell,

I received your telegram and express sincere gratitude for the concern you have displayed in connection with the aggressive actions of the United States in pushing the world to the brink of war,

I understand your worry and anxiety....

I beg you, Mr. Russell, to meet with understanding our position, our actions. ...

I thank you once more for your appeal, prompted as it is by concern for the destinies of the world.

Respectfully yours,
N. Khrushchev
Moscow, October 24, 1962

Dear Dr. Castro,

In the light of America's total and dangerous unwillingness to respond to monderation, could you make a great gesture for the humanity and agree to dismantle the bases? The fate of mankind rests with your decision. I am not making this communication public without your consent.

With warm regard,
Bertrand Russell

Russell: an hour later I telegraphed the following memorandum to Mr. Khrushchev:

The U.S. rejection of your proposals to trade Soviet installations in Cuba against NATO installations in Turkey is totally unjustifiable and is a sign of insane paranoia.

Stripped of diplomatic verbiage, the position of the U.S. government is this: "Unless everybody everywhere does exactly what we wish, we'll exterminate the human race." They have the power to do this and it seems they also have the will. What are sane people to do in view of this armed madness?

I think, though with great reluctance, that sane people ought to yield as far as is necessary to avoid catastrophe. The end of the human race would be definitive, whereas American insanity may be temporary. It seems to me, therefore, that you ought to dismantle Soviet installations in Cuba under the guarantee of inspection by UNO, demanding only, in return, that when UNO gives the necessary guarantee, the American blockade of Cuba should be lifted. I think it should be made evident to world public opinion that this action is only taken in response to a kind of blackmail which is neither sane nor morally justifiable.

... I have not made it public, and I shall not do so unless it meets with your approval. It asks of you a sacrifice which you may find excessive and intolerable.

With lasting esteem,

Bertrand Russell

Later that day, the 28th, we learned that Premier Khrushchev had offered to remove all missile bases in Cuba...

Source: Unarmed Victory