addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Seattle Analytic Philosophy Club Message Board › Doolittle and women

Doolittle and women

Gene L
user 19640341
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 652
I didn't want to post further in Victor's meetup, but I thought some here might enjoy this little gem from Curt Doolittle.

http://stumblingandmu...­

Below is another commentators summary of Curt's message:

Shorter Curt Doolittle:

1) Women are dim
2) Women don't like hard work
3) Women are a soft touch
4) Women don't concentrate on anything long enough to become expert in it

Summary:

Women are mediocre.

Nice.
Jason
user 3213556
Seattle, WA
Post #: 91
Can you say a little more about the point of posting this? I don't see the relevance, particularly for just copying some comment without any analysis. It appears that you are suggesting that this comment is an accurate assessment, or at least in some way noteworthy, but why is unclear.
George
user 74564852
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 127
There are legal pitfalls. Allow me to quote this as a little safety brief.

li·bel
ˈlībəl/
noun
noun: libel; plural noun: libels

Law
a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation.
synonyms: defamation, defamation of character, character assassination, calumny, misrepresentation, scandalmongering; More
aspersions, denigration, vilification, disparagement, derogation, insult, slander, malicious gossip;
lie, slur, smear, untruth, false report;
informalmudslinging, bad-mouthing
"she sued two newspapers for libel"
the action or crime of publishing a false statement about a person.
"a councilor who sued two national newspapers for libel"
a false and malicious statement about a person.
a thing or circumstance that brings undeserved discredit on a person by misrepresentation.
(in admiralty and ecclesiastical law) a plaintiff's written declaration.

Source: https://www.google.co...­

Gene L
user 19640341
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 653
Can you say a little more about the point of posting this? I don't see the relevance, particularly for just copying some comment without any analysis. It appears that you are suggesting that this comment is an accurate assessment, or at least in some way noteworthy, but why is unclear.
If you want to engage in any analysis, you can do so. The comment is just a snarky Internet comment which I found amusing and thought others might, if you don't, ignore it. Did I say it was relevant or accurate?
Gene L
user 19640341
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 654
There are legal pitfalls. Allow me to quote this as a little safety brief.

li·bel
ˈlībəl/
noun
noun: libel; plural noun: libels

Law
a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation.
synonyms: defamation, defamation of character, character assassination, calumny, misrepresentation, scandalmongering; More
aspersions, denigration, vilification, disparagement, derogation, insult, slander, malicious gossip;
lie, slur, smear, untruth, false report;
informalmudslinging, bad-mouthing
"she sued two newspapers for libel"
the action or crime of publishing a false statement about a person.
"a councilor who sued two national newspapers for libel"
a false and malicious statement about a person.
a thing or circumstance that brings undeserved discredit on a person by misrepresentation.
(in admiralty and ecclesiastical law) a plaintiff's written declaration.

Source: https://www.google.co...­

George, thanks. Here is my understanding of libel law, which I think is fairly accurate from prior discussions with friends who are attorneys, although any attorneys here can correct any mistakes.

It is very hard, at least in the US, to be successfully sued for libel.

First of all, the material has to be demonstrably false. Opinions can never be libelous. Second, it has to be proven that the material was purposely published with malicious intent. This is very hard.

Then, you have to prove some injury was actually done. This is very very hard, even for celebrities with worldwide recognition.

The above explains the existence of the National Enquirer, etc.

George
user 74564852
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 129
The scientific mind is highly tentative, subject to revision based on new evidence. It's better to let people present their own opinions, the way they like it, in proper context and due proportion, because it is hard for others to guess whether their yesterday's opinions have been abandoned or not. When in an argument, be careful not to hit people under the belt. If you do that , you would be the one who gets booed.

As a side note, I've rubbed elbows with people who professed the most odorous opinions. They turned out to be the least harmful people.
George
user 74564852
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 130
"What makes a free thinker is not his beliefs, but the way in which he holds them. If he holds them because his elders told him they were true when he was young, or if he holds them because if he did not he would be unhappy, his thought is not free; but if he holds them because, after careful thought, he finds a balance of evidence in their favor, then his thought is free, however odd his conclusions may seem."

Russell, Bertrand. "The Value of Free Thought." Understanding History. New York: Philosophical Library, 1957