Warmest greetings all, lots going on this week!
In our new Tues/Wed series, & Thur one-time workshop, we'll be introducing some fun & creative concepts in dance you won't want to miss:
- TUESDAY: Learn to "blues-ify" your tango (or "tango-fy" your blues) in this new Tuesday Series called "Tango'd Up in Blues". It will greatly expand your appreciation and repertoire for both dances! (No experience needed). Flows perfectly into our 8:15 blues-swing fusion class!
- WEDNESDAY: Ever wondered how rumba, foxtrot, and NC2S all intersect? Or how you can steal moves from one and apply it to the other? Find out this Wednesday in our new Fusion-Rumba Series where you'll learn how to cross-pollinate all of these dance forms, but still make them feel like rumba. A VERY unique approach to both rumba AND fusion you won't want to miss. Starts at 7pm Wed. Flows perfectly into the 8:15 NC2S series!
- THURSDAY: Ever want to up your own personal dance game, no matter who you are partnering with? This Thursday in our stand-alone "Syncopations, Styling, & Musicality" workshop, learn how to add garnish to your dance and to express yourself creatively on the floor, adding zip & pop to your partnership without compromising the connection. There's a very subtle art to doing this well, and here's where you'll learn it!!
Descriptions are below. Details and registration are at www.rolluptherug.com
Looking forward to seeing you there!
October Classes & Workshops
FOUR TUESDAY's: (Oct 8 - Oct 29), plus free guided practice until 9:45pm. The TUESDAY NIGHT classes are held at China Harbor (See directions below)
- 7:00-8:00: Blues - "Tango Fusion" Style! - Start by learning the basics of blues -- a very expressive, versatile, musical dance form that will become the foundation to every other dance style you will learn, then add a little "Tango Fusion" to give it some Latin flair! Perfect for both beginning dancers or for more experienced dancers who want to work on fine-tuning their partnering, connection, and musicality skill. A truly eye-opening experience! All levels welcome - No Partner Needed. **NOTE: In this class, partnering will be done in standard dance frame, not close-embrace.
- 8:15-9:15: "Swinging the Blues" - Building on our blues foundation, we learn to incorporate higher energy 'walking blues' and swing into our steps, as well as to explore alternate rhythms and fun, improvisational stylings. Perfect for both beginning dancers or experienced dancers who want to focus on partnering and connection while learning a whole lot more about dancing outside the box. Fun! Fun! Fun! Even more perfect if taken together with the 7:00pm "Blues for the soul" class. (All levels welcome - No Partner Needed)
- 9:15-9:40: Guided Practice for class participants
FOUR WEDNESDAY's: (Oct 9 - Oct 30), plus free guided practice until 9:45pm. The WEDNESDAY NIGHT classes are held at China Harbor! (See directions below)
- 7:00-8:00: "All things RUMBA-liscious" - Transport yourself back to the wonderful big band era of the 1930's-1940's by learning the most popular dance of that period - the fabulous Foxtrot! We'll start by reviewing the basic footwork & foundations, then quickly move on to fun shadow variations, as well as introduce a little modern music into the equation. Perfect for adv beg/int level dancers (non-novice). Some familiarity with basic social dance required. Ideal to take in conjunction with the 8:15pm "Night Club 2-Step" class. (Level: Non-novice Beg/Int. All welcome - No partner needed)
(Level: Non-novice Beg/Int) All welcome - No partner needed).
- 8:15-9:15: "Night Club 2-Step" -- Unique Combos: Learn the foundations of this beautiful, flowing, & elegant dance style, starting with the basics, then quickly moving on to some terrific unique combinations & variations from Ari's repertoire of fun, original moves. CLICK HERE to see an example of NC2S.
- 9:15-9:40: Guided Practice for class participants
TWO THURSDAY "Stand-Alone" WORKSHOP's: 7:00-9:00pm (with Wine & Cheese Social 9:00-9:45pm) PLEASE NOTE: These workshops are held at a PRIVATE HOME STUDIO in the Eastlake neighborhood of Seattle (Directions to be given upon registration)
- OCT 10th, 2013: "Musicality, Syncopations, & Styling" (for both Leads & Follows) - Whether you like to dance solo or with a partner, learning how to syncopate, to style, and to apply musicality to your steps and movement is the best way to add your unique flavor to your partnership and to spice up your dance. Syncopation and styling are elements that you can do independently from your partner. Musicality is awareness of how your movements & energy reflect the energy, rhythm, and arc of the music you're listening to. The secret is in learning how to garnish your dance with this kind of pizazz, but not take anything away from your partnership. This class takes you to that next level. (All Levels welcome - No partner needed)
- OCT 24th, 2013: "The Secrets of Close Connection Dance" - Blues, Tango, and Fusion are extremely popular dance forms these days that often incorporate a close-embrace connection. This unique, respectful, well-established, social-dance connection opens up a whole new and exciting world of possibility for movement and partnership on the dance floor. In this workshop we'll introduce the art of social-dancing in close-embrace, applying unique movements and steps that can be initiated with leads as subtle as a breath. Gain a whole new level of appreciation for the art of dancing to a whisper, then powering up from there. Informative, engaging, insightful, fun!. (All welcome - No partner needed but always encouraged!)
- All Tuesday & Wednesday classes will be held at China Harbor, 2040 Westlake Ave N., Seattle, WA. There is plenty of free parking available. Doors to the dance hall open at 6:45. Come early to sign in, change shoes, stretch, warm up, etc. China Harbor has a full bar and dinner menu as well.
- All Thursday workshops will be held at a Private Studio in the Eastlake Neighborhood of Seattle. Detailed directions will be sent upon registration. Come early to sign in, change shoes, stretch, warm up, etc. Stay after for the guided practice, socializing, & schmoozing.
- One 4-week series = $50
- Two 4-week series = $95 ($5 savings)
- Three 4-week series = $140 ($10 savings)
- Four 4-week series = $185 ($15 savings)
- STUDENTS (under age 25): $35 per class series
THURSDAYs: Each Thursday stand-alone workshop includes 2 hrs of instruction, plus a guided practice and wine & cheese social to follow.
- One Workshop = $25
- Both Workshops = $40 ($10 savings)
- STUDENTS (under age 25): $15 per workshop
TO REGISTER & PAY: Go to www.rolluptherug.com