Seattle Groovy/Grails & Spring-Boot Users Group Message Board Seattle Grails/Groovy Meetup Discussion Forum › Redmonk's programming language usage rankings

Redmonk's programming language usage rankings

A former member
Post #: 7
Based on analysis of StackOverflow and Github communities, Redmonk has posted their quarterly findings:­

Groovy made it into top 20 last quarter and just jumped up 2 spots this quarter. It is definitely gaining traction in these communities.
Owen R.
user 6828500
Group Organizer
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 64
I honestly prefer Tiobe which shows monthly. Between Tiobe and a few other monthly resources, you get a good idea of what is going on and Groovy is out front as the official Java scripting language now; it has made a huge surge in the last few months in the Java community as more and more people learn how to use Groovy and with that, people will make a natural progression towards Grails I feel.
Jim W.
user 9869529
Seattle, WA
Post #: 1
Grails is certainly an important segment of the Groovy user community, but I'm not even sure it is the largest. I think the tool that has been gaining the most momentum over the last year is Gradle more so than Grails. Probably the biggest event in promoting Groovy adoption this year has been Google adopting Gradle for the Android SDK to build Android projects.

Gradle: The New Android Build System
Owen R.
user 6828500
Group Organizer
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 65
Thats definitely true. Gradle has been a huge boon. But it's part of the entire GR8 ecosystem as it runs Groovy and a boost to Groovy boosts the tools it uses and a boost of the tools boosts the language.