Seattle Hackathons Message Board › Request for Feedback on Community Membership and Profiles

Request for Feedback on Community Membership and Profiles

Hakon V.
user 22958771
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Hi everyone. As our group of hackers continues to grow, I wanted to cover a few things and ask for any feedback about keeping our community strong and making sure everyone feels there's value in being part of it.
The first item is that I would like to encourage folks to not be shy about organizing hackathons, whether an afternoon garage project or a large open hackathon (one of our members is planning a 200-person music hackathon).
The second item is that most people have created great profiles that help others get to know them. Thanks to all who have done that. Others have profiles that are not helpful and might even discourage others from sharing. I am planning on asking for those who don't have serious info in their profiles to update them or be removed from this meetup group. While I want to be inclusive, I also feel it's very important to have a high-quality community. Note that I will never remove anyone for lack of experience. If I don't hear any compelling reasons against enforcing quality profiles, I'll start doing so next week.
The third item is whether I should make our profiles only viewable to members. It's not an issue at the moment, but I know that having our profiles publicly viewable can potentially net some spam. I want everyone to feel comfortable in and excited about our community. Right now, I'll default to leaving member profiles public, but if you feel strongly either way, please let me know.
Send me your thoughts, questions, concerns, ideas, etc. We have a pretty awesome group forming, so thank you all for being a part of it!

Hakon