Seattle Permaculture Meetup Message Board › Seattle Produce Exchange?

Seattle Produce Exchange?

Joseph A.
user 14582719
Olympia, WA
Post #: 2
Hello all,

I have been looking into produce exchanges in Seattle, and I have noticed that there are almost none (or at least none that are easy to locate). I think there is a huge need for produce exchanges in Seattle. With so many urban farmers, there is bound to be people with too many tomatoes, too many pears, etc. I am thinking that the permaculture guild is the perfect environment to begin one. It already connects many people in the community, it is available to anyone on the internet and community produce exchange is a vital way to forward the local food movement.

If any of you have input as to when we could begin them or how to make this happen please leave your ideas here or shoot me an email!

Happy farming,

Joe
Anita M.
almanuel
Abingdon, VA
Post #: 25
A couple of ideas: 1) start by figuring out where the greatest concentration of potential gardener-participants is and get a small group together there to look at possibilities (ask questions like what would you personally be looking for in an exchange), 2) thinking about putting this together with a labor exchange and credit system--lots of people are looking for garden space who don't have their own property (note that there is always a long P-Patch waiting list) and could be recruited both to work in gardens and to do the work of running an exchange in order to get produce. Also a lot of produce is seasonal and everybody tends to experience the "too many" thing all at the same time so credits could be very helpful to include more people and to exchange produce produced at different times. Or labor might include canners and food processors who could work together with gardeners so that each ends up with a winter food supply.

Anita
A former member
Post #: 11
HEY! Produce exchange is ALREADY GOING for over a year at Backyard Barter. MOSTLY produce and then some, such as eggs, meat, dairy (ice cream!) canned goods, homemade beer/mead/etc. etc! Check 'em out! http://backyardbarter...­ AND on Facebook http://www.facebook.c...­ They purposely lean toward "FOOD", and not so much homemade soap or jewelry.
Joseph A.
user 14582719
Olympia, WA
Post #: 3
hey thanks!

I have been looking for a website like this for a while, it looks great I cant wait to check them out!!