Seattle Permaculture Meetup Message Board › Keyhole Gardens

Keyhole Gardens

A former member
Post #: 1
I'm thinking of building one of these in Grant County; hopefully this summer. Anyone ever build or maintain one of these things?

I've seen Deb Tolman's youtube videos and read a bit online. I'll add the framework overhead so can convert it to a greenhouse if/when needed to extend the growing season.

- What can/shouldn't go into building the compost layers?
- What can/shouldn't go into the compost basket?
- Ideas on making it accessible for a wheelchair gardener?
Trish
user 16035351
Seattle, WA
Post #: 1
I built one out of the purchased wall bricks. First time built it like online instructions and it blew out. Too rainy in Pacific NW to have cardboard up the sides. So next time only but cardboard on the bottom. Also need to stack the bricks so they move inward about 1/2 inch every row vs vertical stacking. Take this measurement into account so you end up with 3 ft width in the end. I didn't use glue. Next problem was filling it up. My helper put weeds in bottom for filler instead of the grass clumps. So, had the viney weeds growing out the sides and up through the compost basket. Need a good cover for the basket that rodents can't push off but you can. Saw demo of using a small covered galvanzied container with holes punched in bottom and locking top (like a mini garbage can). Due to location I made it oval vs key hole shape and 3 feet across by 8 or 9 feet long. Easier on back than bending over. Still experimenting with getting lots of vegies from it. Hope this helps.