|Sent on:||Monday, November 26, 2012 2:10 PM|
I am emailing about a nature photography scholarship for high schoolers. Sadly the deadline is next week, Nov 30. But I felt it was never too late to ask your help in promoting it to anyone you know with a connection to a possible high school candidate, especially among the Club but of course beyond. It is thru the North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA) and requires a member to nominate the student. I am happy to do that for any NW application. The student applying just needs to email me so I know they need a nomination.
Here are the details:
The link for the scholarship program is:
1. Students must be 14 yrs old by June 1, 2012 and not yet 19 as of Feb 24, 2013 - in other words high schoolers.
2. There are 10 scholarship recipients chosen from all over North America.
3. The program runs in conjunction with the 18th annual Summit of the North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA) and starts just before the Summit - from Feb 24 to March 3, Sunday to Sunday.
4. The scholarship cover all expenses while at the Summit - and for the days before, but each student must get themself to Jacksonville, FL where the Summit is taking place.
5. There are 4 of us serving as instructors for the program and we engage other pros to work with the students. Most of the keynote speakers and other presenters at the Summit meet with the 10 students during the Summit - and the students attend most of the Summit events.
The students also have formal portfolio reviews by industry pros, get to shoot loaner camera gear and then present the results to the entire audience at the Summit in the final days. Our shooting will include an overnight trip to Cumberland Island with its wild horses and a shoot at an alligator farm.
6. We get loaner gear from Canon, Wimberley and Manfrotto among others so the students have a loaner kit of camera body, lenses, flash and tripod.
Applications are due Nov 30 and require
- short essay answers to questions on the application form,
- 1 or 2 letters of recommendation (one from you for your student would be ideal)
- a nomination by a NANPA member - me (and the student must list me and my member number on their application form)
- 10 nature images emailed as JPGs
The NANPA scholarship is an amazing opportunity, absolutely life changing for the students I have seen pass through over the many years I have worked with the program. We urge the students to bring lots of business cards! Many of our alumni have swept the youth categories in the major nature contests in the US and Europe in the years after their participation.
educator | photographer | consultant
Vashon Island, Washington