align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Seattle Area Sea Kayaking Meetup Group Message Board Seattle Area Sea Kayaking Meetup Group Discussion Forum › Taking Care of Borrowed Equipment

Taking Care of Borrowed Equipment

Saul_K
Saul_Kinderis
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
While I am happy to loan people equipment so that they can enjoy the wonderful sport of kayaking, we need to continue to improve in the way we care for it.

We are doing better with not banging the boats up and I repaired the two boats that had, had sustained fiberglass damage including one small hole through the bow of the brown tandem.

I also repaired the rudder on the blue triple which appeared to have been dropped during a carry and actually bent and tore part of the aluminum rudder mount.

On paddles, I am happy to say that we have not broken any more since our rescue practice a few weeks ago, and the damage actually helped everyone improve their self rescue technique. However, we continue to leave paddles on the beach after we carry the boats up. It seems that close to half the group leaves their paddles on the ground after they land (this includes people using their own equipment, not just those using mine). That leaves the paddles in danger of being stepped on as well as forgotten. I realize many of you have been assisting each other as you land and when all the boats come in so close together sometimes we get in such a hurry to help that we forget to get our own gear stowed. Today I did a walk back to our landing spot and noticed one pfd (life jacket) and one paddle had been left behind. In the last few weeks we have lost 2 of the fiberglass ?Big Spoons? Paddles which run about $200 each and 1 of the West Marine aluminum and plastic paddles ($65 each) as well as losing 2 paddle halves from my Werner fiberglass paddles which run about $150 each(so we have two paddle halves with the buttons and none with the holes). That is over $700 of lost paddles in three weeks. If you happen to find one of them and get it back to me, I would really appreciate it. Beyond finding them, I would really like us to change the way we operate so that we don?t loose any more of them.

The best way to avoid this is to take your paddle apart when you land and put it in the boat you used along with the pfd you used, that way they all make it back to the car. I know the paddles do not fit in the boat when you land, that is why you need to take them apart. It is also a good idea to walk back to the beach and look for gear, I know I have started to do that myself for rather obvious reasons, and hope that you will too.

Thanks again for making a real effort to take better care of the equipment, and I will see you on the water soon.

- Saul
A former member
Post #: 5
Saul, sounds like you have a small fleet! One can never have enough boats. God help me if I can ever afford waterfront.

I've done some fiber glass repair on sail-boats but never on kayaks. If you'd like help repairing boats some weekend I'd be interested in learning/helping.
Michael C.
mcline27b
Seattle, WA
Post #: 91
As a borrower, I really appreciate that you have been loaning your equipment and regret that some has been lost or damaged.

As the group grows, it might begin making sense to have a check-out sheet listing each of the items checked out and in. A small user fee, or a general policy of "borrowers buy the beer" might be a good idea as well...

Michael
A former member
Post #: 2
I agree, it's wonderful to have someone who is willing to promote the sport and be generous in lending equipment.
I get a lot of small mailing labels from organizations, and use these for identification. I write my phone number on them and put them on paddles with packing tape. They could easily be used for other hard equipment. How about laminating a business card and placing one in each PFD, maybe attach in some way?
I think most people are honest, and if equipment does get lost, these items may help you get them back!
Have you checked with lost and found in the areas where there were lost? Or with the Police Dept. or Sheriffs office? The liklihood that someone will covet half a paddle seems unlikely! Need to check in a timely fashion, as there isn't a lot of storage room.
Thanks again for your generosity!
Pam (Sprite)