addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Seattle Area Sea Kayaking Meetup Group Message Board Skills Development Discussions › Kayaking Skills Class for Members

Kayaking Skills Class for Members

Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 143
With all the posting on ideas for a new event, I thought that this would be better handled on the discussion forum. Thanks Donna and Christine for giving the topic a kick start for the season.

I think the external classes are great, developing your skills is important for your safety and enjoyment of our wonderful sport. You may think that you'll never get into conditions that will require any real skills, yet most of you will get into something that is beyond what you have trained for, most often by exploring a beautiful place and not being as aware of changing conditions as you should have been.

I would recommend taking courses in a drysuit this time of year, as it will keep you warm enough that you will be able to hear the instruction over your chattering teeth.

I will post up some basic skills sessions for the general group members once the water warms enough that people won't be suffering too much to learn anything. I expect that the water will be warm enough by mid May to do classes in wetsuits and by mid July to do them in shorts.