align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Seattle Unity User Group Message Board › 2D development in Unity

2D development in Unity

A former member
Post #: 2
I have some art assets a friend gave me for a game he never got around to making.
I'd like to give it a go and do it in Unity.

Anyone interested in doing it?
I've found it pretty difficult to work in 2D in Unity and would love some guidance and knowledge :)

Brandon W.
brandonwu
Group Organizer
Cambridge, GB
Post #: 52
For 2D stuff you probably want to look into a plugin - 2D Toolkit, Ex2D, Sprite Manager 2, and Orthello (free) are some of the popular ones. :)
Ryan N.
Redeyesofnight
Green Bay, WI
Post #: 6
Yeah, 2D stuff is entirely doable in Unity, but the biggest trouble for some folks seems to be wrapping your head around the idea of 2D in a 3D environment.

Really it's not too terribly difficult to work with 2D in Unity. You need a "sprite" model (which you can create in blender/max/maya, or if you're so inclined, you can create the mesh on the fly at all times with the mesh tools unity gives you. I recommend making a simple quad in a modelling program (preferable one with face normals towards the unity camera for simplicity sake, this may take a bit of playing in your modelling program of choice).

With an orthographic camera in Unity, "depth" doesn't really matter in terms of perspective. It only matters really in terms of what is rendered in front of what, so in a sense, it's easier than working in 3D.

If you have a bit of cash, the plugins Brandon recommended are certainly a good idea, as they handle some of the more complicated things for you.

The further along you get with a project, you will probably need a sprite animation system (Not terribly complicated), and probably a sprite batching system (more complicated, but pretty important for performance if you have a lot of 2d objects in your scene).

Tim G.
user 64312332
Seattle, WA
Post #: 4
Don't forget NGUI, makes 2D creation easy.
Tony
user 3461874
Seattle, WA
Post #: 23
I think what trips people up is that 2D designers are used to thinking in terms of pixels as a unit of measurement that is supplied "out of the box" for them. Unity requires you to use (and understand at least a little) concepts like orthographic vs perspective rendering, and an orthographic size before you can even set the stage to use pixel-based measurements. It takes work and setup to make it such that they can nudge things "a few pixels to the left" and if you do it wrong the numbers that measure world space will have nothing to do with pixel space.

I think that's the biggest hurdle for people. The next one of course being GUI. ;)
Brandon W.
brandonwu
Group Organizer
Cambridge, GB
Post #: 53
@tony shall we do a 2D game dev review again? It's been over a year since your 2D Toolkit Presentation, we can use an update ;)
Ryan G.
user 79920842
Seattle, WA
Post #: 1
I would appreciate a 2D game dev review. I've never really understood Unity's approach to handling sprite sheet animation, though I've seen it used to great effect.
Charlie P.
user 12128048
Seattle, WA
Post #: 3
I'd enjoy a 2D presentation as well.

After the basics, my list of curiosities includes collisions and maybe even physics, if they are possible in 2D in unity.
Alberto F.
user 9921899
Redmond, WA
Post #: 11
I'd be very interested in this as well.
Lee
user 45993962
Seattle, WA
Post #: 10
I've been messing around with unity's packtextures() to generate 2d sprite sheets of animated 3d models, and it's awesome. I'd love to have a 2d session to discuss/see how to use them in Unity once you have them hehe.

I made a html5/javascript sprite engine a couple years ago but unity seems more difficult.