Seattle Unity User Group Message Board › Castle-building game

Castle-building game

Chris K.
user 7771754
Bellevue, WA
Post #: 1
I'm working on a spec for a game built around castle-building, and I'd love to get some advice from an experienced Unity developer about the right way to proceed and a realistic estimate of time.

If the project makes sense financially, I can fund it, so there could be ongoing dev work for you.

user 45993962
Seattle, WA
Post #: 9
It could be as difficult as you want to make it. As far as the player being able to place models in the level(Resources.Load()) and saving the position/rotation of each, isn't too hard.

You want to figure out which platform you're targeting. A concern for mobiles beyond polygons is draw calls if you have a big overhead view of a castle with hundreds of pieces.

How do you want to store the information on each player's castle? A database on your server, or something on the device like storing in xml or sqlite?

If the player is placing on a flat surface it's a lot easier than on hills. When the player places a piece they should be able to position it before confirming it's placement.

Once the player has placed multiple pieces, to save them, you need to loop through the scene grabbing each gameobject by tag, by name, by type, or similar, then grab the x,y,z position and rotation. When the scene loads it needs to check your storage (server, xml, sqlite, etc) and if there's data it should instantiate the models at the x,y,z position with the stored rotation.