In case you missed the first one or want to try it when the lights are on (the last one occurred during a power outage :-)
Here's what this study group session will cover:
1) Gallery: A set of data vis that we'll look at, try out and discuss
2) There's a story in there somewhere: What the heck is a story? We keep hearing that "...there's a story in the data." At the last study group, when we tried to create data viz from a small data set, this was the first obstacle. At times it felt like were hunting some mythical beast. Let's rip into the notion of 'story' and see if we can get a better idea of what it is and how to find it.
3) Cool Idea Review (see the assignment below)
ASSIGNMENT: Here's a list of some of the people who create and write about data visualizations, infographics and info presentation:
Andrew Vande Moere
Your mission: Pick someone who creates and writes about data visualizations, infographics and info presentation - can be from the list above or anyone else :-) Look at their blog, a book, an article or listen to their podcast and choose 1-2 of their ideas that really resonate with you.
Come to study group prepared to tell us:
- who you picked
- what you read so we can read it too
- 1-2 ideas of theirs that you love
- a data viz, infographic or info presentation that demonstrates the idea
See you there!