I'd like to have a group where we meet 1-2x/month and, at each 1 - 1.5 hour session, do several activities like these:
1) talk about articles, blogs, books, etc. assigned from the previous meeting
2) have a set of 3-5 data vis /infographic examples to deconstruct together
3) present anything we're working on for that needs feedback
4) take a deep dive into an aspect of a data vis tool
5) possibly team up to do a data vis challenge
6) create a challenge for everyone in the study group to try doing
7) look for and do exercises in data visualization/infographics
8) guest teacher on a topic we'd like to learn about
9) take turns doing a short presentation on the kind of data we each work with and the challenges of creating data vis/infographics for it
8) anything else the group would like to do
Not necessarily all of these at each meeting :-) but you get the idea - the goal is to regularly study, learn and practice different aspects of data vis and develop better visual literacy. With that in mind, we'll decide at the end of each meeting, what our assignment is for the next time we get together.
Here's your assignment for our first meetup: Email me an infographic or data visualisation(or a link to one) that you find brilliant or inherently flawed. Be prepared to describe why you think it's brilliant/flawed. We'll look at these together and practice the type of deconstruction that Andy Kirk suggested.
Let me know if you'd like to help coordinate the study group or lead any activities.
Looking forward to seeing you on the 29th!
DIRECTIONS TO GETTY
Our building is in the International District, on the block south of Jackson street, in a brick/glass office complex that sits between 4th Ave. S and 5th Ave. S.
Parking: Free on-street parking after 6:00 PM; usually plenty of spaces on 5th, 6th and the streets that connect them.
Bus/Bus Tunnel: Get off at the International District stop
Street Bus: Get off at Jackson and 5th S.
The building: Find the Starbucks; 605 5th Ave S. is the building that's directly south. Come to the main door, someone will be there until 6:45 to let you in and keycard your elevator for the 4th floor.
Fyi - There's plenty of coffee, tea, hot chocolate, cold soda and flavored sparkling water in our kitchen but no corporate funds (ye)t so feel free to bring munchies to share or even have dinner in the ID before we start.