addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Seattle Writers Group - Daylight Hours Message Board › Artist's Way: Check-ins

Artist's Way: Check-ins

Kelsye
Kelsye
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 39
Hello brave Artist's Way souls...

This discussions will be used to collect our weekly "check-ins". Check-in questions are asked at the end of each chapter, at the finish of the week. They might differ from week-to-week, so check the book for this week's questions.

Note: This is entirely optional. The purpose of this discussion board is a little accountability and community for those that wish to have it. Also, this allows us to connect with our remote writers (Hello Diana!). You are perfectly welcome to keep you check-in private if you wish.
Kelsye
Kelsye
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 40
WEEK 1:

1. Morning pages: These have been more of a struggle for me that I expected. Morning pages were easy and pleasurable on the weekend when I didn't feel the crush of the day. But during the weekdays, I often missed them. I can't expect my day to make time for me to do my writing pages. I have to take time, invent it by waking up early. Ugh. I hate alarms. I think I only got four done this week.

2. My artist date this week was daydreamy shopping trip to the mall. I realize this doesn't sound very artistic, and I generally don't go to the mall. But, I went by myself, allowed time to stroll and bought things for a time and place that is not here and now.

3. Issues: Yes. Why am I doing wasting time on this and not spending every minute finding a replacement job. That theme seems to come up a lot.
A former member
Post #: 1
WEEK 1

Morning Pages: I am having a hard time imagining getting up at 4:30am ON PURPOSE. I was up a few times last week at that time but that was because I was cleaning up vomit from my sweet two-year-old's bed. I wake up regularly between five and five-thirty to exercise and start my day with Jesus. I suppose I can throw in a page of stream of consciousness. I only began the book yesterday so I am looking forward to this week's tasks and check-ins.

Artist Date: None yet, but I am thinking I will make up for last week's by doing TWO this week! Dollar Tree here I come! Or maybe just a date alone with my journal and my Jesus.

Issues: When I was writing my tasks last night I discovered that I would have loved to be a dancer. But when I was very young the dream was squashed like a banana in a toddler's fist. There's hope for me yet. I have some sweet moves to show the world.
Mark
Mark_Hennon
Seattle, WA
Post #: 24
I did not like the idea of morning pages, but once I started (Monday), I began to see the value of getting things off my chest/mind. Or is that my mind-chest?

It's almost like psychotherapy, and I don't have to make any sense or write with purpose or distinction. I just write what comes to mind, and sometimes I am truly amazed at what comes out. Sometimes revolted.

I don't dot my "I"s or cross my "T"s or worry about grammar or style. I put down my worries and my anger and whatever else I haven't told anyone else about. Wow!

Someday it's going to be boring or tedious or a chore, but for now, I just don't turn on the computer first thing. I make the coffee and oatmeal, feed the cat, and write while I eat.

P.S. Diane, are you Bogarting the Jesus? Ask him to help you do your pages, though! Did you dream of costumes for dancing?
A former member
I have been on vacation and just returned on Wednesday, midnight. Got the book in the mail (can someone 'splain to me why it came from a London University library through amazon?) I really really loved her intro and it all just makes total sense to me. I have always believed that inspiration (from the latin to Breath in the Spirit) is the energy of God. I'm zero denominational/anti religion but think religion is a way of humankind's attempt at explaining the mystery that is Life Force.
I am digging the morning pages, just done twice now. It seems to reopen my questions about my childhood. My husband says I have to let go of all hopes of having a better past. He's right. I'm glad to have the writing group's support system to egg me on, too.
A former member
Post #: 3
P.S. Diane, are you Bogarting the Jesus? Ask him to help you do your pages, though! Did you dream of costumes for dancing?

Mark, if you mean that I am holding onto Jesus, yes I am. If you mean I am not passing Him on, no, I talk about Him whenever possible. I ask Him to help me with everything. As far as dance costumes? I was thinking something modest like this. I said gospel dancing, in case you missed that. Also, it's DianA, not Diane. Thanks. :)
Abigail C.
user 9022757
Seattle, WA
I don't know why, but writing the morning papers has been depressing me. All that crap that comes out. I even tried to turn around all the negative stuff and write about what i was grateful for which then just ended in another negative sentiment.

And yeah, I'm having the same problem of not being able to wake up at 6am to write them. So maybe I write them over breakfast like Mark. I'll give that a try anyway. Hopefully I can find a way of making them perk me up rather than bum me out.

Signed up for an overnight writing retreat on Whidbey in April. Does signing up for stuff qualify as a "date?" Probably not.
A former member
Post #: 3
Week one check in:
I never could imagine that I would be able to write every morning, and three pages at that. But the book is very inspirational. The spiritual part does not quite speak to me, but it works. I have written morning pages every day, although I had to extend "morning" as meaning: as early as possible, sometime before dinner. Some days I had to cut them short, only a page, due to interruptions, but even a page helped. Thus making it possible.

The artist's date was easy this first week: I reserved two hours to do whatever came into my mind, alone. I took the first bus that came past. Close to downtown, I spotted a cafe that looked nice, left the bus and spent a quiet unplanned moment just enjoying a cup of excellent coffee and a warm butter croissant. As I looked out the window, I saw a tall blue building which I hadn't noticed before, and suddenly longed to look at the view from the top. The building turned out to be a hotel, and the lift only went to the 17th floor, so I took to the stairs, not knowing how many floors were waiting. Amazingly enough the stairs went to the 40th floor, and the door to the roof was closed, but it had a narrow opening with uneven glass, showing a messy amount of piping and chimneys, and a tiny sliver of daylight view over Seattle.

The other tasks have proven more difficult, but maybe I will manage next week.

A former member
Post #: 4
Thank you Kelsye for inspiring my creativity yet again! While I am not following the book very much anymore (I really have NO time for it right now, but it has served a great purpose in igniting something in me) I am still writing in my bloggy. Please let me know if you are reading them, Kelsye (and anyone else for that matter) because I value your POV as a writer and a friend. I hope your creative endeavors are fruitful and satisfying! Happy writing everyone! -Diana

Latest writing by the me:
http://faithoutoffree...­