Seattle Area MLP:FiM Fans Message Board › My intro and much more

My intro and much more

Marshall L.
user 96584462
Burlington, WA
Post #: 1
This will be kind of long but pretty important. I will talk about everything right here though so it is all contained in one thread.

I'm originally from the Skagit county area (mostly Sedro) but joined the Army 17 years ago. I ended up settling down in Wyoming. I started a game store called Cyborgs Puzzles and games. I took inspiration from Docking Bay 93 of which I went to highschool with the original owners of. I started watching MLP FIM in season 2 and got very active in the community. Since there wasn't much going on in Wyoming for the Brony community I started up the Wyoming brony group and my game store became the hub for Bronies in the area. I've always struggled with the business and have lost everything in it. I've now been homeless for almost a year but kept pushing to keep the business going. Something came up 2 days ago though that has caused me to have to shut down the business. I am moving back to Washington, most likely Skagit county again but I may go to Wenatchee instead.

I am thinking about bringing what is left of my game store with me and starting it back up in Washington again. It would be easiest for me to move back in with my mom in Sedro but I can't see me starting my business up again there. I'm thinking about starting it back up in Bellingham or Wenatchee. I know both have game stores, but I have heard that neither are very good. I might give it up completely also. I'm wondering if others here have a suggestion along those lines and if it is in a town nowhere near where I have relatives if you know of a way I could live there for very cheap, like renting a basement only or even sleeping in whatever store I open up if it has a livable area in it.

Most importantly though I'm here because I've become very active in the Brony community and it has become key to my social life. I've always been an introvert but the MLP fan community has given my life a dimension that didn't exist before. I can't really get into informal social activities but when it involves Ponies and/or gaming I begin to crave that social interaction.
A former member
Post #: 2
Welcome to the group! I'm not that active of a member here, mainly because being a WWU student in Bellingham with little to no transport makes it a little impossible to make it to all of the cool meetups that this group hosts, though I'm hoping to be a bit more frequent in later years when I start to move out on my own.

In any case, it's nice to meet you in a sense. If you do decide to base your business in Bellingham, I'll definitely drop by and check out your store along with my friends when the school year starts agian. Bellingham's a really diverse and engaging community, so I'm sure you'd be able to find a market, but it's good to look around and research all of the options.

Here's hoping to see you in the future, maybe even at Everfree in July!
Marshall L.
user 96584462
Burlington, WA
Post #: 4
Tom, how much need is there for one in Bellingham though? Could you find out and get back with me? I'm planning to be living in Sedro so it wouldn't be difficult for me to relocate the store to Bellingham. If there is a retail location for rent that is decent for a store like mine for under $900 it would be nice to know about it ahead of time. It would also be a place for Brony meetups of course.
A former member
Post #: 3
I'll do what I can to find out, but with finals coming up very fast next week, I dunno if I'll have time to look around in Bellingham and fully gauge the potential for it. I'll see what I can do though, and ask around. What I'd give to have a Bellingham Bronies group, now that I actually go to college up here and would be able to make it to the meetups...
Marshall L.
user 96584462
Burlington, WA
Post #: 7
We could have the meetup regardless, though I might want to move it to Mt Vernon maybe at Docking Bay 93 or something instead if I don't start the group in Bellingham. I'd still be happy to go to Bellingham though. I've had 20+ people at meetups here in Wyoming. If I can get that kind of turnout here then we can easily hit 30 in the Mt Vernon/Bellingham areas. Probably maybe even see some Canucks join in.
Marshall L.
user 96584462
Burlington, WA
Post #: 14
Some info if anyone is interested in meeting me. I'm currently working at the Halloween City store between Mt Vernon and Burlington on Burlington Blvd. Also on the 20th of October I open up my own store on Hwy 20 between Burlington and Sedro-Woolley, closer to Burlington. It isn't far off I-25 exit 30 actually. It is just after the speed limit changes to 50, right next to a drive through espresso stand. It isn't up to date but my business website is www.cyborgsgaming.com. I don't have a store phone number yet, but once I get one I'll post it up here. It will also be a location for Brony meetups at least once per month.
Marshall L.
user 96584462
Burlington, WA
Post #: 15
Well, there has been a real lack of activity on here. I just want to post again that the store is now open. I've not yet scheduled a meetup but we can start planning on the first one. It would work best if it is after November 3rd.
Toksyuryel
user 60016032
Seattle, WA
Post #: 16
"Planning" meetups via these forums never really works. Very few people pay attention to them at all or even know that we have them. The best strategy is to simply create the meetup and let people RSVP for it. You could create a forum thread alongside it to help announce its presence, but the most important thing to do first is to actually create the meetup. Once three people are RSVP'd for it (which includes yourself, so you only need to get two additional people) it will be announced to everyone in the meetup group and reach a much wider audience than these forums can.