align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Secular Humanist Group of Alberta (Calgary) Message Board › Meaningless and misleading corporate names and brands

Meaningless and misleading corporate names and brands

Atul
user.9032885
Calgary, AB
Post #: 627
I'd like to start a discussion about the meaningless and misleading names corporations give themselves and their products and everything including ethics related to that.

This discussion topic was inspired by Sean's Corporate Manipulation discussion. This is a light-hearted short posts attempt to promote positive change by encouraging everyone to take a second look at all of the companies and businesses we deal with on a regular basis and help us overcome our corporate brainwashing by asking amusing questions that poke fun at business inconsistencies.

If we all take a second look at the world around us and everything we do, the world can also be a quite amusing and funny place!

Have fun smile
Atul
user.9032885
Calgary, AB
Post #: 628
For example Boston Pizza is a Vancouver based western Candian restaurant chain that does not have a single restaurant in Boston, USA nor Boston Bar BC

What are they trying to sell or promote with that meaningless name?
Atul
user.9032885
Calgary, AB
Post #: 629
Or London Drugs is a Vancouver based drug store chain with stores in Ab. BC and Sk. but none in London, Ontario nor UK.

How are they associated with London are are there any unique special kinds of drugs or services available there that are specific to London?
Atul
user.9032885
Calgary, AB
Post #: 630
How about ""Calgary Beer" which is brewwed in Edmonton and Toronto, and only available in Saskatchewan and not Calgary?

What is up with that?
Atul
user.9032885
Calgary, AB
Post #: 631
"Canada Safeway" is head officed in the US. (Their office in Calgary is a head office in name only as virtually all decisions from Canadian advertising to Canadian food pricing are made in California ;-)
Atul
user.9032885
Calgary, AB
Post #: 632
"MacDonald's Restaurants" chain isn't owned by anyone named MacDonald...
Atul
user.9032885
Calgary, AB
Post #: 633
"Coca Cola" has no cocaine in it! ;-)
A former member
Post #: 36
Atul,

Love it LOL. I never really thought about the names, but now I will.

V.
Gena
user 10444492
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 69
oh now that was perfect thing for a laugh this morning.
Thanks Atul!

Love it!
biggrin

- wonder how many more we can find ...
Atul
user.9032885
Calgary, AB
Post #: 634
I visited a restaurant called "Bombay Sweet House & Restaurant" in Calgary (which is also referred to as "Bombay Shit House" by the local Indian community! ;-), and tried to communicate with the staff in Marathi/Mahratti which is the main language of Maharashtra (Great Nation) of which Bombay(Mumbai) is their capital city.

No-one in that restaurant spoke Marathi, but they all started making fun of me in Punjabi which is the language spoken in Punjab (Land of 5 Rivers), but what these imbeciles didn't know is that I understand Punjabi! ;-)

I didn't even get a chance to check their menu (which probably wasn't an authentic Marathi menu either), before I felt like leaving and left.

This would be analogous to say for example Italians opening a Chinese restaurant here in Canada, but keeping the working language Italian and hiring only ethnic Italian staff that only speaks Italian and makes fun of anyone trying to speak Chinese! ;-)