The Secular Humanist Group of Alberta (Calgary) Message Board › Meaningless and misleading corporate names and brands

Meaningless and misleading corporate names and brands

Atul
Calgary, AB
Post #: 635
I visited a "Japan Camera Centre" about 10 years back looking for a Japanese-made full function automatic camera and they didn't have a single cemera made in Japan. Most of their cameras were made in China with a few made in other Asian countries.
A former member
Post #: 5
Hi Atul,

Mind if I play devil's advocate?

I'll preface by saying this is all just speculation, unless references are provided.

- Boston Pizza could refer to the style of pizza served.
- Coca-Cola contained cocaine until 1903. http://en.wikipedia.o...­
- Japan Camera could be selling cameras designed in Japan but assembled in China, a common practice in the electronics industry.

I suppose these aren't especially insightful, but they bear mentioning.

When I think misleading names, I think of things like "Vitamin Water" which might better be called "Fruit Juice."
A former member
Post #: 38
Atul - Personally I love your posts. Keep'em coming!!

Of course I'm not speaking for all but as a past organizer and a personal friend of many people on here.....

Here at secular humanism we fully allow speculation, and are not ridged or give less credibility to those who don't provide references. I see discussion groups as a place to have some fun too, a place where we are not attacked or criticized or ridiculed. This is not a university course where you have to provide "references", nor is it a place where playing devils advocate is always good or bad thing (eg. opposition or challenging a belif is ok as long as it doesn't deny responsiblity for your point), or have to preface the conversations saying things are just speculation without references.

By all means give an opinion but leave judgment at the door. If you wish to provide references go ahead but there is nothing in our group that requires it.

Atul is just making a comment (that many of us are enjoying) and I hope he continues.

BTW general comments don't have to be formally addressed to a specific person. By specifically addressing in opposition you are confronting a specific person and not just adding to the discussion.
Atul
Calgary, AB
Post #: 643
Hi Atul,

Mind if I play devil's advocate?

I'll preface by saying this is all just speculation, unless references are provided.

- Boston Pizza could refer to the style of pizza served.
- Coca-Cola contained cocaine until 1903. http://en.wikipedia.o...­
- Japan Camera could be selling cameras designed in Japan but assembled in China, a common practice in the electronics industry.

I suppose these aren't especially insightful, but they bear mentioning.

When I think misleading names, I think of things like "Vitamin Water" which might better be called "Fruit Juice."

Hello Richard,

As a full time activist/volunteer who is also involved in consumer advocacy, I'm well aware of those things and I was just trying to have a little fun while encouraging some thought and action! I'm sorry if I came across as overly serious, as that wasn't my intent. (It is usually around 2am and I'm half asleep when I do my postings ;-)

If you have any detailed info on those or other companies and products I'd welcome and encourage you to play "devil's advocate" again! ;-)

Atul

Atul
Calgary, AB
Post #: 645
Thanks Vanessa
Atul
Calgary, AB
Post #: 647
HSBC (HongKong Shanghai Banking Corporation), formerly known as HongKong Bank with branches and subsidiaries all over the world, is actually head officed in London, England! ;-)
Atul
Calgary, AB
Post #: 648
The chain of Gandhi's Restaurants in the UK, which a Bangladeshi owner decidedly named after Mahatma Gandhi to increase his business's popularity has a mostly nonvegetarian menu slaughtered and prepared using some of the cruelest and most unethical methods available.

Mahatma Gandhi being a strict vegetarian in the Indian sense (where any forms of cruelty or negative vibes/energy are never tolerated anywhere near where food is prepared or consumed) would never have been caught dead anywhere near those restaurants.

Some background into the Indian way of thinking and Indian culture:

Most Indians also believe that you are putting the ultimate level of trust and faith in anyone you give the honour of preparing your food, so they avoid this restaurant chain and it's less than ethical owner and employees like the plague.

This restaurant mainly caters to Europeans or non-Indians (who have different cultural criteria for selecting food and may not be aware of Indian ethics and morals, and probably don't realize how unethical and immoral this so-called "Indian Restaurant" is by Indian standards), and caters to those South Asians that are deemed to be of extremely low morals and poor character. If you watch Indian movies, villains and criminals would eat at restaurants like this one! ;-)

Both the Indian community and animal welfare activists in the UK are very upset with this restaurant chain's misuse and spoiling of Mahatma Gandhi's good name and reputation.

If he picked a different and more honest name like "Dhaka Dogfood" or whatever, he wouldn't by judged so harshly.
Atul
Calgary, AB
Post #: 660
Scotiabank aka Bank of Nova Scotia is head officed in Toronto, Ontario, not Nova Scotia! ;-)
Atul
Calgary, AB
Post #: 661
To the best of my knowledge most (if not all) 7-Eleven convenience stores are open 24 hours!
Atul
Calgary, AB
Post #: 662
C'mon, does no-one else here see anything funny or wrong with the company names and product brands they see everywhere?