addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Secular Humanist Group of Alberta (Calgary) Message Board › Meaningless and misleading corporate names and brands

Meaningless and misleading corporate names and brands

Gena M.
user 10444492
Sherwood Park, AB
Post #: 78
I think they are funny and wrong, on so many levels.
I just can't find any other ones to add either.
smile
Atul
user.9032885
Calgary, AB
Post #: 679
Bank of Montreal is headquartered in Toronto. I guess the name Bank of Toronto was taken or unwanted! ;-)
Atul
user.9032885
Calgary, AB
Post #: 682
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the "Klondike Days" exhibition had very much if anything to do with the Kondike, hence Capital Ex.
A former member
Post #: 9
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the "Klondike Days" exhibition had very much if anything to do with the Kondike, hence Capital Ex.

Some correction is warranted on that one. While the actual exhibition had little to do with the Klondike (apart from the little kids part where they could pan for "gold"), various other activities that went on during the time did fit the theme, such as the competitions for "Klondike Kate" and "King of the Klondike", as well as the Klondike Promenade, which had some people kicking it in some really cool period dress.
Gena M.
user 10444492
Sherwood Park, AB
Post #: 88
I remember K-Days being a lot more about the heritage stuff. I liked it.
Mind you I wasn't all that old, so my memory is coloured by youth.
Everything and everyone was seven feet tall smile
Atul
user.9032885
Calgary, AB
Post #: 686
Well OK then, the "Calgary Stampede" isn't really about stampeding.

A stampede is a sudden uncontrolled rush of a large number of animals or humans which usually results in injuries or deaths.

While the Calgary Stampede organizers and their security staff are extremely irresponsible, incompetent and always grossly negligent if not downright sadistic, basically a major disaster waiting to happen, I don't think a true stampede is their aim, though their incompetence would be a likely cause of one.

A couple of years ago during one of their bone-headed attempts to drive a herd of horses into town, they lost control and caused a mini stampede resulting in numerous horses jumping off of a bridge to their deaths in the Bow River.

Calgary's "Stampede Parade" is an oxymoron.

All I remember about Klondike days was that Yukoners weren't very happy with Edmontonian stealling and destroying/spoiling "their" identity/image.
Gena M.
user 10444492
Sherwood Park, AB
Post #: 92
Oxymoron indeed.
lol
The Stampede and I have never had the pleasure of crossing paths.
The name alone brings all sorts of pictures to mind.
Mainly one of buffalo stampeding off a high cliff .... or lemmings smile

Yeah Yukoners not happy ... --> Capital Ex.
Atul
user.9032885
Calgary, AB
Post #: 689
The GMC Yukon, Dodge Dakota, Pontiac Montana, Toyota Tacoma, Chrysler New Yorker, Chevy Tahoe , Nissan Titan, SATURN, MERCURY, DODGE, PONTIAC are not manuafactured in the Yukon, Dakotas, Montana, Tacoma, New York, Lake Tahoe, Titan (largest moon of Saturn), Saturn, Mercury, Dodge City, nor the Pontiac region, nor do they have anything to do with these places.
Atul
user.9032885
Calgary, AB
Post #: 693
This might not have anything to do with corporations but here goes anyways:

When I was an engineering student we once had a plan to affix "Road to Nowhere!" signs to most major Edmotnon Trail street signs in Calgary! ;-)

Not beacuse the signs said "Edmonton Trail" (though that would be the source of the humour behind it! ;-), but because that road actually does not go to Edmonton, nor anywhere else, ending in a vehicle trap that only trucks and busses can pass through.
Atul
user.9032885
Calgary, AB
Post #: 723
My FORD ECONOLINE Claas B motorhome was anything but economical.

It guzzled gas like there was no tomorrow. I'd get about 2 km/l in the city and about 4 km/l on the highway (only if I was careful), and it cost me a fortune in repairs. Overall this thing probably cost me more than $5/km to operate.

I spent a lot more time swearing at my F.O.R.D. (eFFing, Obsolete, Rusting, Disaster ;-) than I ever did driving it.

I learned the hard way that their company slogan, "At Ford, Quality is job #1" says nothing about it being "good quality"!

I debated getting the licence plate "IH8 FORD" for my van, but that would have made it much more difficult for me to get rid of it, though I did find a "Ford enthusiast" who was much more capable of dealing with my Fuel Often, Repair Daily (FORD) ECONOLINE van than I was and I practically gave it away!

Hopefully my extreme suffering has at least some entertainment value for you guys! ;-)