addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Secular Humanist Group of Alberta (Calgary) Message Board › Meaningless and misleading corporate names and brands

Meaningless and misleading corporate names and brands

Atul
user.9032885
Calgary, AB
Post #: 738
Visiting "The Maurya" restaurant in Calgary, I was very disappointed that everyone working there knew absolutely nothing about the Great Mauryan Empire of approx. 2,500 years ago, not even knowing that this great empire existed nor why this restaurant chose that name.

The capital of this great empire, "Pataliputra" (Patna) was at one time the richest and greatest city in the world and this is also confirmed in the documents of Alexander the Great (Macedonian Emperor who conquered most of the middle east and NorthWest India)

The food served was not even near up to Mauryian standards and most of the cuisine was completely different than what the Mauryans would have eaten. The Mauryan Empire also had half decent animal cruelty laws and enforcement that make modern day Canadians look extremely savage and barbaric in comparison and that is another reason why many of the "food" items found in this restaurant's menu would have been nonexistent in the Mauryan Empire.

Remember when you eat, you are putting the ultimate level of trust in those preparing your food so always ask questions and decide for yourselves if they are trustworthy, as you don't want stupid or dishonest people contaminating your food! ;-)

Gena M.
user 10444492
Sherwood Park, AB
Post #: 109
Wow Atul, I had no idea.
I definitely need to be Reading more. smile

And the whole trusting food thing; absolutely. Sometime I have to remind myself not to take things at face value.

- ok not sometimes, my inner skeptic rarely takes anything at face value wink
Atul
user.9032885
Calgary, AB
Post #: 746
CIBC's "Instant Teller", and Bank of Montreal's "Instabank" money machines aren't exactly all that "instantaneous" when you have to wait in long lineups to use them! ;-(
Atul
user.9032885
Calgary, AB
Post #: 815
"All Beef" is the name of the company that makes the mostly soy patties that go into MacDonald's hamburgers.

How can someone have a beef "Hamburger" anyway, unless it is coming from some sort of mutant or hybrid cow-pig?

At least Murder King aka "Burger King", calls theirs "The whopper" and the dictionary definition of whopper is "a big lie." confused

http://dictionary.ref...­
Gena M.
user 10444492
Sherwood Park, AB
Post #: 118
LOL

So when it's a flame broiled "big lie"/burger.... does that mean it comes from someones' pants being on fire???
biggrin
Atul
user.9032885
Calgary, AB
Post #: 883
Calgary "Buddha's Veggie House" has a very misleading and dishonest name because it is NOT a vegetarian restaurant.

While I guess they are free to sell cruelty (Chinese restaurant food animals suffer greatly all their lives according to a documentary I once saw where they were skinning cats and dogs alive and throwing them into both boiling and ice cold water without killing them first, beating live animals for hours to make the meat more tender etc. etc. etc.), doing this in Lord Buddha's name makes them even more reprehensible.

Here is why:

Lord Buddha was a staunch vegetarian who preached compassion for all living things.

In Brahmajala, Buddha said:"Those who eat meat, the seed of compassion is cut off, so that all beings see them and leave them. So, all buddhas can not eat any kind of meat. The sin of eating meat is infinite."

In Shurangama Sutra, Buddha said:"These who eat meat, drop down to painful places after died, and suffer infinitely."

While I'm not Buddhist nor am I religious, I believe selling this cruelty in Lord Buddha's name is intolerable.

Here is their contact info in case anyone else here has similar concerns that they would like to share with them:

Buddha's Veggie Restaurant - Calgary
5802 Macleod Tr. S, (Chinook), Calgary
Phone: 403-252-8830

Please ask them to change their restaurant name if they refuse to stop selling cruelty. "Calgary Chinese Cruelty Club" is an example of one of my suggestions! ;-)

Atul
user.9032885
Calgary, AB
Post #: 1,106
In Calgary we have these two restaurants in Banker's Hall and Chinook Centre that call themselves "Veggierama" though their menus have little or nothing vegetarian on them.
Atul
user.9032885
Calgary, AB
Post #: 1,253
In Calgary we have a chain of coffee shops called "Good Earth Cafe". Quite frankly I'd rather have good water in my coffee! ;-)
Atul
user.9032885
Calgary, AB
Post #: 1,825
Trans Canada Pipelines' Keystone XL pipline project isn't exactly trans Canadian (It crosses the US, not Canada) nor does it go through "America's Keystone State"
A former member
Post #: 17
TCPL existed long before the Keystone project and does indeed have pipelines across Canada. And the US

You can find a map here: TCPL