Sedona/Verde Valley Secular Freethinkers Message Board › "Religious Extremism in the U.S.

"Religious Extremism in the U.S. Military: Dangers and Implications" - to be held Sunday, November 1 at 2:00pm in Phoenix pm

Herbert J. H.
user 14244043
Cottonwood, AZ
This message provides additional information concerning the Mikey Weinstein lecture to be held on Sunday, Nov. 11, at The Cedar's Club, 1702 E. Northern Ave., Phoenix, (directions below) on the very important (to Freethinkers like US!) subject noted above:

Americans United for Separation of Church & State - Greater Phoenix Chapter & the Arizona Foundation for Contemporary Theology are pleased to invite members of the Sedona/Verde Valley Secular Freethinkers Meetup group to attend a very special Veteran’s Day presentation by Mikey Weinstein, Founder & President of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation. He will address “Religious Extremism in the U.S. Military: Dangers & Implications”.  Mr. Weinstein was the national Americans United organization ‘Person of the Year for 2011” and has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize five times.

If you haven’t been following the stories of how evangelical fundamentalists have infiltrated the U.S. Military, here are some of the bizarre issues:

· A $600+ million dollar contract that produced U.S. Military weapons inscribed with quotes from the Bible.

· “Spiritual Fitness Tests” that label non-religious solders unfit for duty and thus passed over for pay increases & promotions.

· The positioning of the military as Christian Soldiers conducting a ‘Holy War’ against the Muslims.

· The training course for nuclear missile launch officers that uses Bible passages & religious imagery to teach the ethics of war.

Reality is truly stranger than fiction.

Please join us for this very special Veteran’s Day event. The event is free & open to the public. Following the program, there will be a no-host Meet-N-Greet with Mr. Weinstein. Location will be announced at the lecture.  Please be sure to invite your friends & family who are current & former military. There will be security at the event so please leave large bags, backpacks, etc. in your car.

Betty and I will be attending this lecture, but we plan to drive on to Southeastern Arizona immediately after the event, so we unfortunately will not be able to provide car pooling in our car.  To arrange carpooling for yourself, please contact other S/VVSF members who will be attending (see our web site) to make arrangements.

DIRECTIONS:  The Cedar's Club, 1702 E. Northern Ave., Phoenix, is easy to reach.  Drive south on I-17 from the Verde Valley until your reach the major intersection of the 101 Freeway in Phoenix.  Take the appropriate exit from I-17 to the 101 going EAST.  Proceed East on the 101 for about 6 miles when you will reach the major intersection of the 101 Freeway with the 51 Freeway, which only goes South.  Take the 51 South for about 6 miles until you reach the intersection of the 51 Freeway with Northern Avenue.  Exit onto Northern Avenue.  Proceed WEST on Northen Avenue for just a few blocks until you reach 1702 E. Northern.  There you will find The Cedar's Club.

Have a fun and safe trip down to Phoenix.  I look forward to seeing you there.  Call me if you have any questions at (928) 852-0830.

Herb Henderson

(928) 852-0830