lewis
user 67745982
Shanghai, CN
Post #: 1
i am thinking about getting the nikon d90 for my 1st dslr since its discontinued, so its dirt cheap now lol. but wonder if anyone of you guys own one or has one, how's the camera and compare to nikon d3200, d5200, d7100, or canon t3i to t5i or the 7d, those one are like 2x more expensive, b/c i am thinking once i get more serious on photo taking i might upgrade to a full frame and skip the higher end of the dx-format dslr, and the lenses i thinking of getting either 50mm f1.4 or 1.8 g one as a starter, so anyone has comments or anything?
bryan
bryan-roos
Shanghai, CN
Post #: 3
Take a look at Sony NEX-6. There is a lot of flexibility, and capability to the whole NEX system. And simply put, the smaller it is, the more often you will have it.
lewis
user 67745982
Shanghai, CN
Post #: 2
hi bryan, ya i did thought about the mirrorless camera, i think it cames down to if you want more control of the image u taking or not, dslr still gives the best control over the image you take, but the size is bulky, and when times you dont need the control of image, the mirrorless camera is great, compact and has decent depth of field. so for me i mostly use iphone to take a quick snap shot lol. but when my project is finished, and i want to take some cool images w/o extensive Photoshopping, dslr is best for the choice i believe, also, the mirrorless camera is not cheap lol, i just quickly looked over the nex-6 its $800, which that you can buy nikon D5200 or cannon 650D,
bryan
bryan-roos
Shanghai, CN
Post #: 4
I owned a Leica M9 for two years, and I would put any image from my NEX-7 right up next to any image I did with the M9. Nearly 99% of my images, are processed through Aperture 3 with Silver Efex Pro 2. I would dare say my Photoshop skills are getting rusty. Would also suggest both the NEX-5R and NEX-6 have better low light performance than the NEX-7. The only thing I use a my DSLR for now, is sports.

I think the only feature or control a DSLR has, that the NEX (or many of the mirror-less options) does not have, is mirror lock-up. (sarcasm)

Spend your money as you feel best. I am sure you will create some great photos with whatever you get. In the end, it is your eye, not camera that creates the image.

http://www.flickr.com...­

bryan
Nico
user 87196552
Shanghai, CN
Post #: 1
Agreed with Bryan,

I started with a D90 and it was a great camera, and moved to a NEX5 2 years ago since I had enough of carrying so much things around.. you need a whole bag so you need to think before going out... "do i take it or not?"
The nex5 is great, i miss the viewfinder though, but really good IQ and low light is amazing too. I definitely recommend the NEX6 but beware that the Chinese version doesn't have the "app" which was a boomer for me, that means no remote control on the smartphone... (which i needed for overhead shooting). Make sure to get a HK version.

Today, choosing a DSLR makes sense only if you do real profesional photography and you need something fast (like sports shooting requires). Nex5R and 6 have hybrid focus which is faster but still slower compare to DSLR.
Or if you have old lenses from Nikon and you want to re-use it.
Today I shoot film Olympus OM1 and Sony RX1 :)

Cheers
nico
lewis
user 67745982
Shanghai, CN
Post #: 3
ya, thnx for the different insights, i guess it just came down to how often your going to carry the camera, dslr big and bulky, nex-7 light compact, all can take great image,