align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Shoujo Club of Austin Message Board › Cosplay Sewing Class

Cosplay Sewing Class

Mippa
Mippachan
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 63
Hey all!

Our latest member Ash has graciously offered to help us learn to sew in order to start our path down the cosplay circuit!

I'll leave it to Ash to explain what sort of stuff we'll need to be prepared, but let's start talking about what we'd like our first project to be!

It's suggested that we start with something small and have a larger "homework" project to keep us practicing between these "classes" - Ash if any of this is wrong, please correct me!

Ash, how does this sound for "something simple"?

And it appears there's a "how-to"...

How-To Make Shinsengumi Haori

...what do you think, guys?

As for a full project, maybe the Uta no Prince-sama School Uniform?

A former member
Post #: 1
Hey Guys!

We could do the shinsengumi haori. The triangles on the sleeves may be a little difficult. I would want to figure out an alternate method because the way they sew on the triangles isn't very aesthetically pleasing. In his/her tutorial s/he also says that this pattern took her 5 days with a sewing machine. (Which sounds weird because this should be something that only takes 1-3 hours at most)

If you guys want to do the haori I could make one first and see if I could streamline it.

Alternate or maybe second project:

I don't know how many My Little Pony fans we have in the group but I found an easy pony plushie pattern we could make to at least establish the basics of sewing.

About the Uta no prince-sama uniform:

This costume is deceptively difficult because it would require the following skills:

-Pattern drafting or altering (Mostly on the female dress under the blazer)
-Tailoring
-Pleats

Also making sure all those stripes match up would be a nightmare for a first time cosplay maker. This costume would be easier for the boys not so much for the girls.

Easier school uniforms:
Any of the sailor moon uniforms (minus Rei's winter when I think she has a blazer)
Kagome's uniform from inuyasha
Hikaru from Magic Knights (Umi and Fuu's would be difficult because of the tailoring and pleats but atleast you wouldn't have to fight the costume to make the fabric patterns match up)

Scarlett
user 25859892
Austin, TX
Post #: 16
Sounds like so much fun! I have some plushie patterns that might be relatively easy to get basic hand sewing/machine stitches and also a "purse" pattern that we can try as a homework or learning project. I can prob make some duplicates of it so everyone can have one and then we can also learn how to read a pattern. This is going to be so much fun!!! OMG!!!
Mippa
Mippachan
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 64
Thanks for weighing in! I'd personally rather not due a plushie since I kind of don't have a place for it (though I guess I could always donate it to someone?) but I'm totally down for finding something easier!

If we're looking for something easier, here are a few other shoujo uniforms that might work..?

Marmalade Boy

Sailor Moon Sailor Stars uniform

Smile Precure school uniform

Wedding Peach school uniform

...trying to keep with the shoujo theme, the hard thing is most of the uniforms have pleated skirts.
A former member
Post #: 2
Also, you could do almost any card captor Sakura outfit as long as you don't mind buy yards and yards of fabric for the petticoats =p
Mippa
Mippachan
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 65
Omigewdness I'd love to do the Card Captor Sakura school uniform~(and any of the outfits too but haha petticoats~)
A former member
Post #: 3
Card captor Sakura outfits are slightly nostalgic for me so that would be fine with me.

Lets start with the Shinsengumi hoari and for the second project/homework do a cardcaptor outfit. Sound good?
A former member
Post #: 6
Omg! Yes to Cardcaptor, for sure! :)
A former member
Post #: 1
CARDCAPTOR SAKURA. I JUST WATCHED THE DVDS. I WANT TO BE LIKE TOMOYO AND MAKE ALL OF HER CLOTHES. THIS IS MY DREAM.
A former member
Post #: 4
We should totally have a watch party! I haven't seen CCS in ages. 10 years atleast.

I think I'd like to make her watery outfit:

Or the pink kitty one is super cute too.

In order for me to teach you guys you will need to have a sewing machine. There's no practical way around it because hand sewing will take you Alooooooot longer. I can sew a seam in 30 seconds on a machine or 10 minutes by hand.

Walmart, target, joannes, hancocks all have sewing machines for sale. Joanne's usually has some pretty sweet coupons. For cosplay sewing you'll just need a basic machine since you guys are starting out.

UPDATE ON THE HOARI:
I bought material.

That's been the easiest part so far. Ha!

For the message board pattern it calls for 2 yards of 60in wide fabric. Unfortunately 60" is special order only. So I bought 4 yards of 45" fabric and Ill just have to math-it-out how many strips of each I need. The boon of this is that I'll have extra fabric left over for the white triangles.

The other problem is that there wasn't a satisfactory color match for the dusty sky blue in the game. So I bought white and I will dye it. Pros to this are that I'll get a near-perfect match. Cons to this are if we cosplayed my coat wouldn't match the dye lot of your guys' coats XD.

All in all Im slowly ironing out the kinks so that you guys will have an easy easy time making these things