Shut Up & Write! Silicon Valley Message Board › Shut Up and Write! Silicon Valley Status Update

Shut Up and Write! Silicon Valley Status Update

Jim G.
Since the first of the year we have added a net of 76 new members bringing our total to 222. Thanks to the efforts of two of our members, we also added two new regular venues: one in San Jose at the Panera Bread on Monterey Highway and one in Cupertino at the Bitter + Sweet Coffee Shop.

Rebecca joined in January and was looking for a regular Meetup on weekends. We didn’t have one so she created one herself. It involved trying several venues before she homed in on the Panera location that seems to be working.

Emily has been shepherding our Cupertino location with the assistance of the venue owner, Janice, who has been extraordinarily supportive. If you haven’t been there yet, I suggest you try it out.

Next week, I am holding a Meetup on Tuesday at the Paris Baguette in Palo Alto in hopes of establishing a new regular Meetup for our under served Mid-Peninsula members. This new venue was the location for one of Lisa’s recent ad hoc Meetups.

Our members have also created a number of ad hoc Meetups to supplement our regular ones. These have served to add a welcome variety to our writing options.

We appreciate the cooperation of everyone who has pitched in to enhance our group’s efforts to provide opportunities for writers to meet and write with fellow writers. As we continue to grow, we welcome suggestions for new ideas, events and venues.

If you are a new member who has yet to attend a Meetup, I encourage you to do so. Our mission is to provide that little bit of encouragement and discipline that gets you moving, but it is up to you to make the first move.

Jim Gay
Co-Organizer, Shut Up and Write! Silicon Valley
Victoria K.
user 51709242
Palo Alto, CA
Post #: 1
I know this is kind of old, but I was wondering if there was a reason the Palo Alto meetup doesn't happen anymore? It would be super convenient for me. Mountainview isn't bad though.
Jim G.
jimgay
Redwood City, CA
Post #: 4
I have tried several Palo Alto Meetups, but they haven't taken hold. We have tried Printers Inc., Cafe Epi and Paris Baguette. Establishing new locations for venues is a tricky undertaking and involves a bit of trial and error. You have to find the right venue, the right day and the right time. And, of course, members have to show up. Ideally, two or three local members will share responsibility for hosting the events. This usually means a local has to step up, create a first Meetup and be willing to explore other possibilities if the first Meetup doesn't work. So far, no Palo Alto member has taken that first step, and when I have set one up, either one person shows up or nobody shows up. I am always open to suggestions, but in the end it is the local members who determine rather a regular Meetup succeeds or fails.

Any member can create a Meetup simply by clicking the link at the top of our home page. It is probably best to start with an ad hoc Meetup at a location the member likes to test the waters. I monitor new Meetups and usually offer help without having to be asked.

Mountain View works because they have a few locals who show up regularly, and Meg, who I don't thank nearly enough, holds things together.
Victoria K.
user 51709242
Palo Alto, CA
Post #: 2
Ah, thanks for the explanation!
Laura Michele A.
user 41214362
Palo Alto, CA
Post #: 1
The Palo Alto Cafe is a wonderful place to hang out and write. It is cozy, friendly, they have complimentary wi-fi, easy and quick parking (a BIG plus), tables and couches and fabulous and inexpensive sandwiches, smoothies and great coffee drinks. (No, I am not affiliated- I just love hanging out there.) It is family owned (not a chain), which I always like to support.

Also, they recently put in a huge wooden table that can accommodate a group of about 8 writers. I'm sure they'd be willing to reserve it.

If/when I get around to it, I might arrange a meeting there, but if you wanted to, I bet there would be more Palo Alto Takers. I know I'd come!

Thanks and I hope to see you soon at my 2nd meetup!

Laura