Come socialize and enjoy a great movie at a wonderful open-air rooftop venue with a fantastic view of Manhattan!
This is a joint event with The Culture and Film Club, a group which features a variety of cultural events, including screenings of award-winning foreign and independent films. In addition, several other singles meetups have also been invited.
"The Cuckoo" ("Kukushka" in Russian) is about three people who meet during World War II and have to live together, though none of them speak the same language. Friendship and love must overcome the language barrier in this comedy/drama.
After being charged with being a pacifist, Veikko (Ville Khaapsalo), a Finnish soldier, is chained to a rock as punishment but manages to escape. Ivan (Viktor Byshkov), a Soviet army captain accused of anti-government views, avoids court-martial (but is badly injured) when the vehicle he is riding in is bombed. Both take refuge at the home of Anni (Anni-Kristiina Juuso), a Lapp woman who has been living alone. Ivan does not trust Veikko and Veikko just wants to go home, but to Anni, the two men are not enemies, just men....
Director: Aleksandr Rogozhkin
Length: 99 minutes, Country: Russia, 2002
WINNER OF 17 AWARDS PLUS FIVE NOMINATIONS!
In German, Finnish, Saami and Russian, with English subtitles.
Friday, July 12th, 2013
6.45 pm: Door opens. When you arrive at the venue, register in the lobby. Then take the elevator and press the "R" button. PLEASE DO NOT EXIT ON ANY OTHER FLOOR. After coming out on the rooftop, claim a seat, get your free drink, and mix and mingle!
8.00 pm: A brief intro to the movie
8.15 pm: Movie starts!
9.50 pm: Movie ends. Stay and continue meeting others!
10.10 pm: We will go and hit a nearby restaurant. Come join us for dinner or just a drink.
- Advance purchase is recommended. RSVP without payment does NOT reserve your seat.
- If not sold out, tickets will be available at the door on a strict first-come, first-served basis, regardless of RSVP. (Cash only, please.)
- All tickets include a coupon redeemable for one drink (beer, wine, soft drink, etc.)
- Please turn off your cell phone/beeper when the movie begins.
- Bringing your receipt for prepayment is helpful but not required. (At the door, there will be a list of names of those who paid online.)
See you there!
Milton & Nestor