Sierra Club Hiking Meetup Message Board › Clarifying the Nature of the Sierra Club Hiking Meetup

Clarifying the Nature of the Sierra Club Hiking Meetup

Jack B.
user 5792446
Group Organizer
Sunnyvale, CA
Opening up the Loma Prieta Sierra Singles hikes and social events to the Meetup community has been a great success so far! LPSS has enjoyed meeting new people and introducing them to the Sierra Club, and we hope that the incredible growth in our Meetup membership is an indication of a real interest in our activities in the Meetup community. This posting is to lend some clarity about this new meetup….and how it is changing. It will always be a work in progress as we, in Sierra Club, try to incorporate this new format into our dynamic organization… and offer as many varied hikes (and, potentially other events) to all our participants. A few issues that I want to clarify follow:

1) This meetup was started by our local singles group (aka LPSS). Since then, our Black Mountain Group (BMG) has joined us in this endeavor. I anticipate other local Sierra Club groups will join us. This will make more events available to Meetup members. LPSS is the only group that is limited by marital status (or absence of marital status). I ask that everyone respect this distinction. Events offered by all other Sierra Club groups are open to all members. Each sponsoring group will have at least one assistant organizer.

2) Events in our schedule also are offered by the local group within Sierra Club, so participants will come both from Sierra Club and Meetup. So, the list of Meetup participants who have RSVP’d does not include all potential participants on the event—there may only be a few Meetup participants, but there may be many more from Sierra Club who will show up; Sierra Club typically has not asked for RSVP’s.

3) We are relying on the graciousness of the Sierra Club leaders to lead these events. Our leaders have varying degrees of comfort leading large groups. So, we have them specify how many spots they can open up to Meetup members for any event.

4) If you would like lead events for this Meetup Group, you will first need to join Sierra Club and become a Sierra Club leader. Generally, that means you must get a first aid certification, receive some outdoor training, and lead an event in concert with a qualified leader. It’s not that hard and there are leaders who will be glad to assist you through the process.

This experiment, barely a month old, seems to be working well. But this Meetup Group does work a little differently than other Meetup Groups. I hope that this note helps clarify what we envision this group to become. If you have any questions, please contact me or any member of the Leadership Team.