addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Silicon Valley Automotive Open Source Message Board › Anyone Going to These Two Hackathons?

Anyone Going to These Two Hackathons?

Khanh
user 47375512
Palo Alto, CA
Post #: 2
This one is specifically for connected vehicles. http://hackathonsv-es...­

The other one seems to be more about "sustainability". http://sustainhackmv-...­

Juliana C.
user 13916837
Palo Alto, CA
Post #: 1
Looks like corporate R&D seeking cheap and easy access to developers' work. The presumption is that you will come and invent or demo stuff, sharing your best ideas in exchange for "a chance to win" prize money, eat pizza and maybe, just maybe, rank some face time with senior people, but only after they've watched you build on their turf, supervised by their "sensei." At least one of these invitations presumes naivete on the part of developers. I'm surprised to see such esteemed names attached to an ersatz "hackathon." I would have thought a serious developer outreach would be conducted with more respect for IP and the intellectual maturity of the developers. As it stands, any team with a great idea and understanding of the automotive ecosystem would probably stay away. Hopefully, these nice folks over in corporate will learn less patronizing methods of outreach soon. One can hope. :-)
Alison C.
user 8979363
Group Organizer
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 387
Juliana, I take your point about corporate panning for gold amoung naive developers. Nonetheless, I can see the value of attending the event just to meet other developers working in the same area and sharing ideas. Presumably no one who attends will be forced to submit any new ideas. You could, for example, tell them about a project already up on Github or Gitorious.
Alison C.
user 8979363
Group Organizer
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 388
Thanks for posting these links, Khanh. I have to check my schedule but will consider attending both.
Dean L.
user 8824341
Mountain View, CA
I've never attended a Hackathon before, but am curious about these. Also I'm not a full-on fully trained coder, just an aerospace person who's knowledgeable and has done software development. Any one care to give pointers to help me get acquainted with these events, qualifications needed, preparation, etc? Is it really a 24~48hr marathon of no sleep?? thanks
Alison C.
user 8979363
Group Organizer
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 393
Dean, some hackathons are organized contests, and some are mellow hangouts. My practice is, just show up and see if anything that's going on intrigues you, and if not, just wander out again.
Dean L.
user 8824341
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 4
Thanks Alison. Talked to friends who have done quite a few and they might join me in checking these out.
Juliana C.
user 13916837
Palo Alto, CA
Juliana, I take your point about corporate panning for gold amoung naive developers. Nonetheless, I can see the value of attending the event just to meet other developers working in the same area and sharing ideas. Presumably no one who attends will be forced to submit any new ideas. You could, for example, tell them about a project already up on Github or Gitorious.

Well said, Alison. My concern was really more about the BMW event. It appears designed to make people work on the fly, in their presence. Which just ain't smart, even if you don't technically need or want to patent protect anything... I have a long history of engagement with these OEMs and they can be GREAT guys to blue-sky with... and some of their people, with and/or without the behest of upper management, can be utterly ruthless about pinching your stuff - or trying to.

What's needed is a pure, developer-focused Automotive Incubator (flat and low BS factor) with no single OEM as a sponsor. I'm working on it. :) Hope to meet you soon, Alison. Great work you do here - very cool and so important to bring developers together.
Khanh
user 47375512
Palo Alto, CA
Post #: 3
I have no experience with hackathons either. I also doubt that I'll produce anything noteworthy in the short time available (but that's just me). So I probably fall into the hanging out and meeting people crowd. I'm hoping to attend both, so it will be nice to meet any of you that come.
Alison C.
user 8979363
Group Organizer
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 397
I signed up for the "Sustainability" hackathon just because I have a conflict with the other. No way I'm giving my best ideas away in exchange for some company-logo USB sticks and t-shirts though! Hmm, maybe we should have an SVAOS hackathon at Hacker Dojo?