addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Silicon Valley Automotive Open Source Message Board › The case of the missing gas mileage

The case of the missing gas mileage

Alison C.
user 8979363
Group Organizer
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 63
Ronald B.
user 9367894
San Rafael, CA
Post #: 29
Personnel power has nothing to do with the size and horsepower of our vehicle - but we're brainwashed by commercial television that its otherwise. It's a trapping of the mystique of the rugged individual thats endemic in American culture.
John L.
user 34092752
Los Gatos, CA
Post #: 1
The paper seems is out of date. All the data is 5 years old. It's an interesting perspective on what might of happened if the economic boom of the mid-2000's continued. However, with the global recession, climate change, and re-organization of major auto makers, the assumptions the paper makes are no longer valid.

My non-scientific survey of the SJ auto show, contradicts the conclusions of the paper. Many auto makers were selling higher mpg engines as a $2-3K option, i.e., the same weight vehicle with or without higher mpg.
Ronald B.
user 9367894
San Rafael, CA
Post #: 30
The climate change problem has been in the public conscious for a long time (> 15 years) and the recession is temporary, I hope, and I'm not sure what the effect of the re-organization of the auto industry has on this. Also one must consider what effects Irans threats on oil passage through the Straits of Hormuz might have here, which is also temporary. So your conclusion based on evidence of what you saw at the auto show might not be valid. But I'm hopeful you're correct.