addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Silicon Valley Automotive Open Source Message Board › Car data bus improvements: Ethernet in cars is an idea whose time has come

Car data bus improvements: Ethernet in cars is an idea whose time has come

Alison C.
user 8979363
Group Organizer
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 196
Rudolf J S.
RudolfJStreif
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 5
Considering EMC, weight and space constraints when routing wires through a car it surprises me that they are considering unshielded twisted pair wiring. BMW had massive EMC problems when introducing E65/E66 7-series in the early 2000's. I would think that cheap optical cabling is the better choice.
Alison C.
user 8979363
Group Organizer
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 199
I had the same reaction to twisted pair but would guess that the dielectric of coax is insufficiently temperature-stable unless you spend a lot of money on cabling.
Rudolf J S.
RudolfJStreif
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 6
Coax tends to be heavy, unwieldy and hard to route in tight spaces. It is used in cars for connecting cell phone, Bluetooth and GPS antennae. I remember the old days of Cheapernet (10Base2) wiring for data that used coax (RG58) and the 50 Ohm termination resistors required at the cable ends. Oh, what a joy that was!

Many MOST-equipped cars use cheap plastic fiber today in a ring topology. It seems so much more suitable, at least to me, for the application unless there are some issues I am not aware of.