Silicon Valley Automotive Open Source Message Board › In Europe, Speed Cameras Meet Their Technological Match

In Europe, Speed Cameras Meet Their Technological Match

Alison C.
user 8979363
Group Organizer
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 231
Henry P.
hptasins
Eagle, ID
Post #: 4
"and several German states that earn revenue from speeders, oppose lifting the ban. "

Because getting revenue from speeders is more important than getting them to slow down.

If they actually wanted to just slow the drivers down, they could just seed the databases with lots of "risk zones" ...
Alison C.
user 8979363
Group Organizer
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 233
Henry, tell me you're surprised! Radar detectors are illegal in CA, are they not?

I do wonder about V2I security and whether clever folk will simply broadcast that there is a "risk zone" in front of their house.
But I worry more that it will be possible to make real-time maps of police car location . . . perhaps, who knows, this is already easy.
Henry P.
hptasins
Eagle, ID
Post #: 5
Sadly, I'm almost never surprised at governments making poor decisions.

A quick browse indicates that RADER detectors are legal in CA and most other states. RADAR *jammers* are illegal is all states (actually an FCC issue, not state-by-state), but interestingly LIDAR jammers are only prohibited in a handfull of states.

I thought there were already some incidents of people sending false updates to real-time traffic recivers, so people broadcasting "risk zone" info seem to be an obvious followon. And there's always a risk with using crowsourced info.

As to the real-time police car location map, try this:
https://www.dunkindon...­
tongue
Rudolf J S.
RudolfJStreif
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 8
I think these are not just radar detectors which have been around for a long time and may or may not work dependent on what technology the speed trap is using. Many of them are now using lasers. None of these devices will be able to alert within a 4 km radius but only when your vehicle is already in the range of the beam.

These are services that collect information on where stationary and mobile speed traps are installed and correlate that location data with your current position to give you a warning.

That idea is not new and has been around in a low-tech version for the longest time, even in my home country Germany. When I still lived in Munich local radio stations would broadcast locations of speed traps. Listeners would call a number to report the speed traps. Officials were long looking to stop this service. However, they were not successful. Their efforts were always rejected with the argument if their real interest is to make traffic safer or to collect revenue. However, speed traps located in school zones were never reported.