Silicon Valley Automotive Open Source Message Board › Open Source Automotive Hardware

Open Source Automotive Hardware

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello All, I have a few questions I thought I would test here first with regards to open source hardware.

Is the community ready for an open source cape for beaglebone black to assist in solutions development ?

We have developed our V1 of our automotive box and now looking towards V2 but thinking as an inbetween step to develop and market via kickstarter or truvolo a cape for beaglebone black that could help the open source community in developing automotive specific solutions.

Any thoughts requirements feedback appreciated.

Currently our V1 product can be found at http://www.sancloud.c...­

Thank you in advance

Marc
Alison C.
user 8979363
Group Organizer
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 621
Thanks for the link, Marc. Does your product include PID data for different manufacturers so that logged CAN packets can be decoded, as Ford is providing with OpenXC? To which CAN buses will you connect, just OBDII or MS- and HS-CAN as well? Besides video streaming from the module, have you considered a web interface like the one that (for example) Kinetix and Electric Imp are providing?

Good luck! The market for such devices is still growing, but there is lots of competition. If you are local to Bay Area, we'd love to have you present to the group about your products.
A former member
Post #: 2
The curent system connects directly to the low speed CAN 500K link. We have currently connected to our test vehicle (BMW 3Series) and reverse engineered most of the PIDs so we can log the relevant data. If we have the CANDB for the vehicle we can decode the data.

The V2 we are starting to develop will have an ODBII interface using an STN1110 which can connect to most vehicles with ODBII as it connects to CAN-H, CAN-L, K-LINE, L-LINE, J1850_BUS+, J1850_BUS-

As for the web interface, if a specific Atheros dongle is used we can create a WiFi Access Point and host the web server on the box and also in the cloud to allow the user to have connection locally and remotely.

We have also been considering the addition of 802.11p for the Vehicle to Vehicle communicaitons but need to talk to the relevant groups and companies that are developing the silicon and stack.

Maybe people in the SVAOS community know of the relevant people to speak to.

Thanks
Marc
Alison C.
user 8979363
Group Organizer
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 624
Through this group's message facility, try contacting Ravi Puvvala of Savari and Naga Durai of Cisco. Ravi gave a talk to the group about DSRC and 802.11p back in September 2012, and his slides are posted:

http://www.meetup.com...­

See also the webinar on this topic that John Kenney of Toyota and I presented in December:

http://www.meetup.com...­

I have other slides and video links about 802.11p at she-devel.com.

How does you OBDII scanner compare to scantool.net's? They offer STN1110-based OBDLink products that connect to the same buses as yours.

Best wishes,
Alison