align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Silicon Valley Machine Learning Message Board › SF/ Berkeley meetings

SF/ Berkeley meetings

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi hope the first meeting in Sunnyvale went well. I'm curious to see feedback posts and suggestions from those who attended.

It's more than a bit difficult for me to get down to Sunnyvale and then back up to my high occupancy orbit of SF/Berkeley/Marin. Is there any interest in forming a second track or alternative meetup site in SF or Berkeley? Perhaps just a casual get together of a few ML enthusiasts from those latitudes?

I may be able to go down to Sunnyvale for special presentations, but it would be fun to chat about the content of the Stanford/Coursera ML class, or ML tangents that touch the course, or advanced ML topics with experienced folk -- with less travel time.

Just to make a few concrete proposals:
(1) I could meet this Saturday (8/25) at 10AM at Caffe Strada in Berkeley. Chat about the first couple weeks' lecture notes for the class. Perhaps, discuss topics that are alluded to but skipped in the course (alternative loss functions, conjugate gradient methods, proving the normal equations,...). Perhaps some programming: it may be fun to try implementing ideas from the class in multiple languages. Other possibilities abound. If anyone says they will make an honest effort to show up, I will go to Caffe Stada on Saturday (blond guy with black and yellow motorcycle jacket == Joel).
(2) Ideally I would find a gang to chat about this material on Thursday evenings in SF. I don't know an obvious venue though.
A former member
Post #: 1
Can't make it this Saturday, but - in general - am in for Berkeley, or BART-able SF meetings. Marin is a little harder.

I do have some general questions that might stimulate discussion and am looking for public domain data on which to evaluate some ML ideas.

No rush here, but I'd like to do this.

-- Mark