PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE EVENT DESCRIPTION.
This event is organized by Skill Sapien and nestGSV.
Idea to IPO is collaborating by promoting this event.
There is a cover charge to attend this event.
In order to attend, you must register and pay here:
Idea to IPO members receive a 50% discount.
In order to get your 50% discount, enter promo code:
How Valuations Work: Before and After the “General Solicitation” SEC Ruling
– A Capital-Raising / M&A Master Class
*Part of the Skillsapien Insight Series and the NestEDU curriculum*
A game-changing event in the finance world took placed on July 10th, 2013. For entrepreneurs worldwide looking to raise capital or company exits, this represents a once-in-a-generation change (according to Forbes) that massively improves the odds of capital-raising, while disrupting the VC industry in the process.
For the first time ever, investment channels are an order of magnitude greater than what was previously available. How can you leverage this and what are the necessary tools and knowledge to acquire?
Come and learn:
How traditional bulge-bracket Wall Street firms approach company valuationHow do VC’s approach company valuationHow will such valuations be impacted by the “General Solicitation” SEC rulingWhat does this mean for raising capital or doing M&A deals for your companyWhat can you do to take advantage of this new “gold rush”?
Duration: 2.5 hours, 3 speakers, followed by networking
Cost: $45 in person; $10 via livestreamed webinar
Topics and Speakers
How M&A professionals approach deal execution and company valuation in a transaction process
Glenn Chen –
- Managing Director of FutureIQ Group
- 15 year track record over bull/bear markets, focused on US-style corporate advisory with a global Silicon Valley mindset
- Executed and closed transactions in the billions of dollars over a career built at major Wall Street firms and at entrepreneurial investments banks (Robertson Stephens, UBS Warburg (aka UBS IB), East Peak Advisors (acquired by Friedman Billings Ramsey Group), WCP)
- Focused on key TMT sectors: e.g., mobile/wireless, video/imaging, software, digital media, Internet, travel
- Specialty: M&A transactional & strategic advisory, commercial development, capital raising
Comparisons of current valuation models:
- A small-cap public company vs. a private company
Shayan Mohammodi –
- Founder and Managing Director of SOM Capital Partners
- Assisted on M&A accounting for SunGard Data Systems, an $11.3B LBO by a consortium of tier-one mega-cap PE funds.
- Led M&A accounting and corporate valuation for $1.7B LBO of John H. Harland Co. (a Fortune 500 Company) by M&F Worldwide Co.
- Assisted M&A accounting and corporate valuation for $200M LBO of Embarcadero Tech by Thoma Bravo LP, a leading mid-market PE quity fund with $4B in AUM
- Content Curator forbreakingintowallstreet.com, the #1 source for finance students to break into top-tier Wall Street jobs
- Corporate valuation (both mega-cap public companies and privately held entities) from a value investor perspective
- What VC’s look for: before vs. now (post the “general solicitation” SEC ruling)
- What are the impacts and opportunities for entrepreneurs
Bernard Slede –
- Founder and Managing Director of Breakthrough Ventures
- Entrepreneur, ex-corporate VC (HP, Elf) and adviser to innovation-driven companies
- Multiple successful business and product launches in US and Europe, with tens of millions of dollars raised, including: Biz2Credit – leading SMB lending marketplace, ShareDesk – largest global platform for flexible workspaces, PowerAssure; AppFuel and Funambol
- Launched a hardware business from scratch in 5 months
- Launched HP Startup Central (partnering with the National Venture Capital Association and the Angel Capital Association); set up a VC Advisory Council with Ron Conway as Chairman
- Startup America's top Champion in California
- Named "far and away the most effective and responsive startup advisor" by Canadian Trade Commissioner
Networking and refreshments before and afterwards
Each of these presenters normally charge thousands of dollars a day for their time. On this evening – and exclusively through Skillsapien, they come together to share their decades of experience and secrets of success with the Bay Area entrepreneurial community, all for the price of a few beers.
Skillsapien – tapping higher expertise, on demand.
(Note: this class is aimed at mastering the concepts. To successfully implement these concepts, Skillsapien recommends seeking further expert assistance. This can be through in-depth coaching and consulting from our partners. For more information, please consult our structured courses at: http://skillsapien.eventbrite.com or make a request via: www.skillsapien.com.
Furthermore, no formal advice is provided in this seminar, and all information are provided on an “as is” basis for informal discussion purposes only. The presenters are not liable for errors, omissions or inaccuracies in the information presented before, during, and after the seminar and with any communications / discussions regarding this information. By signing up for the class, you understand that the class does not provide legal advice; you should consult with a legal professional regarding any legal matters.)