addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Silver Spring Writers Meetup Group Message Board › If you type two spaces after a period, you're doing it wrong

If you type two spaces after a period, you're doing it wrong

A former member
Post #: 97
I'm humbled that I've been making this mistake for years. I'm also afraid it will take me a bit of effort to unlearn this particular habit. Here is a ranty article explaining it all: http://www.slate.com/...­
Phil M.
Phil_M
Silver Spring, MD
Post #: 10
One person's opinion does not a rule make. The comments after the article make it clear that while perhaps one space after a period is replacing the typewriter-era two spaces (and I think it is from what I've seen in the digital age), the transition is not complete and will likely not be for another generation. IMHO, it's not one space good, two space bad. I'm sure my daughter may learn the rule as "one space after a period," but unless a specific editor requires otherwise (and I've had them do it), I'm still pressing that space key twice.

- Phil
A former member
Post #: 98
His tone is definitely "I'm right, you're wrong," and I agree that it certainly isn't a rule. I think his heavy-handed approach is meant to sway the argument in his direction. I for one thought "two spaces" was a rule. Now that I know it isn't, I'm inclined to not put in anything that isn't needed. It follows my general pattern for writing: less is more.

I'm convinced of his logic, so I am going to make an effort to switch. I'll have to pay more attention to this in books, publications, etc. to see what the trend seems to be. So far it's very tough to unlearn. My thumbs still want to double-tap before I'm even aware of doing it.