addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

SilverStripe London Meetup Message Board › Ideas for a better Meetup

Ideas for a better Meetup

A former member
Post #: 1
If you have any ideas on how we can improve the UK SilverStripe Meetup this is the place to post them.

Feel free to suggest venues, topics for talks, demonstrations, competitions or anything else...

We'll look forward to your suggestions.
Katja D.
user 10201131
Clifton, GB
Hi,

You might have plans for what to do on Thursday already, but I just thought I'd let you know some ideas I had re the meetup in general.

I thought maybe there could be a certain format, for example:
1. Silverstripe News - Are there any new developments, plans etc. (GPMD probably would know best about this)
2. Introducing SIlverStripe users: Each time one or two members could talk about their experiences with SilverStripe. What did attract them to the CMS, why did they stick with it, what do they think is special, what are the difficulties?
3. "Feature"/main discussion topic. If somebody has a special knowlegde in some area, they could give a little talk, or it could just be a discussion. Suggestions for this would be:
- Customizing SilverStripe for the client/end user(s) - are there things that people routinely do to taylor it for use by a client
- Modules: Which ones are especially useful, which ones could be improved, are there conflicts with certain ss versions; what more modules would be good to have?
- Image handling and galleries

2. might be too much, and one would probably gather someone's experiences from discussions anyway. Anyway, I think it is quite interesting to hear how people use the CMS.

So, these are just a few suggestions, I hope they make sense. If you don't use any of them I won't mind.

Hope to see many of you on Thursday
Katja

If you have any ideas on how we can improve the UK SilverStripe Meetup this is the place to post them.

Feel free to suggest venues, topics for talks, demonstrations, competitions or anything else...

We'll look forward to your suggestions.

A former member
Having a short introduction into what we can expect from 2.4 would be good. I hear a little here-and-there on IRC and the forum but it's generally rumours.

Sam (sminnie) said on IRC that module management and site-wide settings will not get into 2.4 - and they were the major things 2.4 was going to do! So finding out what they will do instead/what is taking their time would be good (I hear JS engine moved to jQuery - not much more).

I like Katja's suggestion of format and her example seems good. Worth a try?

Cheers

A former member
Post #: 2
Hi Guys,

Thanks for this. Great stuff!

We are actively searching for an appropriate venue for the Meetup, one with wi-fi, a projector, enough seating, central, not to expensive and with food. Not an easy task it seems!

I think we might try and focus on one main topic every other event. Personally I've never enjoyed meet-ups where there is too much structure....

We also need to switch the day as the PHP Meetup is also on the first Thursday.

Let's have a chat about it on Thursday.

-Rich