Singapore Philosophy Group Message Board › New Meetup: Political Philosophy: Utopias

New Meetup: Political Philosophy: Utopias

Jonathan L.
user 12803832
Singapore, SG
Announcing a new Meetup for Singapore Philosophy Group!

What: Political Philosophy: Utopias
When: Sunday, July 10, 2011 3:00 PM

Where: Singapore Botanic Gardens
Nassim Gate Entrance Visitors Centre
Singapore

In light of the depth and constitution every one displayed at the last meet up, I think a discussion regarding society and politics might be a good theme for this gathering.

Discuss your idea of an ideal society, explain its foundations and values as well as its premises.

Fair Weather Location: Out on the fields at the Botanics

Rainy Weather Location: Casa Verde Cafeteria at the Botanics

*See Message Board for Program

Check it out!
Jonathan L.
user 12803832
Singapore, SG
Post #: 23
Hi Everyone,

This is the program for the upcoming meetup on 10/07 Sunday:

Meet and greet: Introduce yourselves

Topic Introduction( 10 - 15 min)

- Why discuss/study political philosophy?
- A very, very short historical tour of political philosophy (Thinkers like Plato, Aristotle, J.S.Mill, Locke, Marx, Rousseau)

Round table discussion: Ideal society and you, Contemporary critique

- Your thoughts *5 min/speaker
- Question and Answer 5 min/ speaker

Paired Discussion: The problems and benefits of Democracy

- 2 man Dialectic * 5 min/speaker
- Presentation to group in pairs 4 min/pair

Round table Discussion: Applying philosophy - How will you apply your beliefs and ideas?

- 2 min/ speaker

Suggested Reading

- Informal discussion and sharing of readings and thoughts

Please note that the time limits are there to make sure everyone gets an opportunity to speak. It is fine if you do not think you have anything substantial to contribute. There is no floor on how much you have to say. Listening is fine. I myself am very rusty on the topic.

** I will be sending out my contact details on Friday night!
*** If you have any suggestions regarding the program please feel free to contribute!

Hope of Savior '.
user 14263728
Singapore, SG
Post #: 3
A simple suggestion:

I think it will be little bit more helpful if we start with the following:

1) Giving an introduction on how the Societies and Politics came into existence.
2) What was the need to have societies and politics in the first place and how was it important and beneficial for humans.

This will be halpful because if we want to talk about ideal society or idealistic politics then we must know why do we need those in the first place. We must know the problem first in order to find a perfect or near perfect solution.

Just a suggestion...
Gabriel
gssq
Singapore, SG
Post #: 746
I think the speculations of political philosophers on those topics may have been interesting, but there's no reason to think they were true
Hope of Savior '.
user 14263728
Singapore, SG
Post #: 4
Well you are absolutely right Gabriel, that there is no reason to think that something is true just because it has been said by someone.
One must analyze something and prove it time and again in order to make it true, that's the basis of science.
But just discarding something without any better idea or without any proof that it's not right is not something that thinkers rely upon.
You also have to understand the time and circumstances of those philosphers when they really were speculating on those topics. Understand their personalities and their thoughts in order to understand their work.
Just because it may or may not apply to our times does not make something right or not right.
Different times have always had different needs and therefore different solutions.
A former member
Post #: 1
Hey Guys,

Yesterday discussion on political philosophy was good food for our minds :) it was amazing how we lost track of time and immersed ourselves for more than 210 mins straight!

Looking fwd for the next meetup!

Regards,
Anirudh
Gabriel
gssq
Singapore, SG
Post #: 747
But just discarding something without any better idea or without any proof that it's not right is not something that thinkers rely upon.

Simple: read a history book

You also have to understand the time and circumstances of those philosphers when they really were speculating on those topics. Understand their personalities and their thoughts in order to understand their work.

I didn't dispute that we can learn something from their speculations presented as fact.

Just because it may or may not apply to our times does not make something right or not right.

You are using the word "right" in a different sense here
David W.
user 19913671
Singapore, SG
Post #: 1
I think the speculations of political philosophers on those topics may have been interesting, but there's no reason to think they were true

Aye, I agree, no reason to regard old assertions by old political philosophers were true, and before even beginning to touch on political philosophy, 'why should we?' is a great question- an epistemological question? but um, which philosophers were/are the group talking about?

However, for the same reason we might see value in studying Aristotle/Hume/Kant with regards to causality (their speculations are interesting, but today we still haven't reached a consensus and have no reason to think they were true), the study of nascent political thought may purify our perspectives in a way that is no longer merely 'interesting', but important, even essential, in moving forward.

Like you said, read a history book, but which history book? Which one is correct? Assuming this history book is 100% correct, does that give us anything that is 'true' politically in our world? In this respect I think the actual political history and the history of political philosophy is important--

Going back to these guys may help us gain an understanding of previous thought and how it may be affirmed/rejected by our current knowledge/thinking- to determine whether we have no reason to think of these assertions as true, we have to first master knowledge of these assertions in order to tear them down.
This is especially important for politics and history, where the current reality/ current ideas are likely based on what has previously transpired in our world.
I think Nietzsche advocated this fiercely and deeply, and although I dont see Nietzsche as a nihilist perhaps this will appeal to you, Gabriel :)

Would been fun to attend, but ah, the meetup is over

Also, Hi everyone in the group!
Hope of Savior '.
user 14263728
Singapore, SG
Post #: 5

Simple: read a history book

Just reading is not the solution. What you actually understand from reading something is of true value. Understanding something in its true sense is the key and I hope you understand what I mean.

I didn't dispute that we can learn something from their speculations presented as fact.

You are using the word "right" in a different sense here

I'm using the word right in its general sense.