Singapore Philosophy Group Message Board › Next meeting of Philosophy Group

Next meeting of Philosophy Group

Tim B.
user 24326772
Group Organizer
Singapore, SG
Hi, everyone,

The Philosophy Meetups have taken place on Friday 6th and 13th January. On 6th there were two participants, but on 13th there were 4! We're getting better.

We decided to schedule another meeting soon, and from our very interesting discussion decided to debate, "In the end, we only exist for ourselves." Hope will argue for this view, Tim will argue against. Everyone is of course welcome to join in, and hopefully will have had time to think about the topic.

Are our lives necessarily "selfish", in some sense?

We hope to meet at a public venue this time, and Aloysius will find us one in the next two weeks, we hope. If one cannot be found, then we may revert to Tim's flat, which is reasonably central (Newton Road, near MRT)

We hope you will be happier to come at the end of a Saturday afternoon, with time for discussion before you go back to your busy lives on Saturday evening.

We intend to rotate the organizer job, with Hope taking over when Tim's month ends.

Tim
Hope of Savior '.
user 14263728
Singapore, SG
Post #: 9
Hi Tim,

Thanks for arranging the next meetup. I'm looking forward for the next meetup. Hope we all can meetup on 4th Feb 2012 as planned.

As we agreed during our last meetup that I would be debating in favour of the argument "In the end, we only exist for ourselves" and you would be debating against it.

What I want to point out is that it is embedded in our genes that we all eventually live for ourselves. Whatever we do or think, there is always something in it for us. All of the human actions or behaviour that we come across like love, compassion, trust, faith, hatred etc. are all done/accomplished because we find something useful/beneficial for us (be it emotional, monetary, religious etc.) in doing those actions. In a way our actions are driven by our own interests of one kind or the other. At times we might not realize that but the interest behind our actions is hidden somewhere in our subconsious mind.