About the Ruby Pair Programming Session
• It's a 3 hour guided session for people at all levels: beginner, intermediate or expert
• You team up with someone else and take turns writing tests and code
• The objective of this session is to learn during the process. Don't fret if at the end of the day you find that you haven't achieved anything "productive"
• Use Test Driven Development if you can (or at least have tests in place). Despite what some people think, we've found that TDD works well in most circumstances
• Different people will use different tools (editors, test frameworks, etc). You might be unfamiliar with your pair's setup, but take this as a chance to learn something new. Maybe you will like what you see!
What to Bring
Your laptop with Ruby and a test framework installed (Minitest comes with Ruby; many Ruby devs prefer RSpec). Your favourite editor. An open mind.
Sample templates are available for minitest and RSpec.
If you don't know where to start, don't worry. We can help you install Ruby and set up your laptop at the session.
We'll provide power, desks, air-conditioning and WiFi. And hopefully an enjoyable morning of coding.
After an introduction to the session and a demo, we'll help set up the pairings and start working on a simple coding assignment. At the end of the session, we'll have a huddle and discuss what we learned during the session.